Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjk633 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2015, 10:39 PM
    How do I replace "#Type!" with "?" in relevant field?
    Using Access 2010, in limited field space on a report, I have reduced relevant name of volunteer offering assistance to first-name & first-letter-of-last-name with the following:-

=[txtHelpFName] & " " & Left([txtHelpLName],1)

All works well when the volunteer details have been provided or known. When they are not available, the field populates with "#Type!", which I would like to modify with a simple "?"

Any suggestions on how this can be achieved? Would an IIF Function work, using the above for the TRUE component of the statement?

Thank you...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2015, 05:24 AM
    You are close with the IIF, but the problem appears to be when one or more of the fields is Null. Null is a special value that doesn't mean blank, but rather Nothing. You can trap for Null by changing your expression to:

=Nz([txtHelpFName],"") & " " & Left(Nz([txtHelpLName]," "),1)

I include a space in the second Nz so the Left() function doesn't choke on a zero length string.

If that doesn't work, then you may need to use an IIF to test for Null values.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To opt for the field which I have exp or to the field which is my actual background [ 0 Answers ]

I am a electronic engineer.Now I am pursuing my MBA in marketing.I had 2 years of exp in telecommunication infrastructure(electrical) as site engg(electrical) with gross salary of 12k/month.Now I have recently changed to Business Development Executive in electronic sales of 10k/month, 3 months back...

To opt for the field which I have exp or to the field which is my actual background [ 0 Answers ]

I am a electronic engineer.Now I am pursuing my MBA in marketing.I had 2 years of exp in telecommunication infrastructure(electrical) as site engg(electrical) with gross salary of 12k/month.Now I have recently changed to Business Development Executive in electronic sales of 10k/month, 3 months back...

Can you replace plug type tap with a quarter turn ceramic [ 3 Answers ]

I am doing a shower renovation and have removed the old plug type tap and replaced it with a quarter turn cermaic tap. I am using the same screw connection that was set into the wall for the plug type tap. I have found that when they ceramic tap has been fitted water flows through the shower even...

Can I change my career into IT field, I've DCT quali, but 10 yrs exp in other field. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm into logistics field for 9 yrs. I hv passed 3yrs diploma in computer technology. Now I aspire to change my career into IT field. Can I? If so what course I should persume?

Replace old type shower knob/fixture [ 3 Answers ]

How do I replace an old type pullout to run water, turn right and left for temp. Push in to stop water flow... change to the turn right and left type

View more questions Search