Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    suzannahmarie18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2015, 07:29 AM
    Can my fiancé adopt my older children? I have sole custody and we have 2 children
    My finace and I have 2 babies together. He wants to adopt my older 2 children. The bio father signed over his rights years ago and the court gave me sole custody. Do I have to be married in the state of TN for my fiancé to adopt?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 18, 2015, 07:38 AM
    While I do not wish to disagree, I doubt he "signed over his rights" since that really is not possible. He may have signed to give you sole custody, and he signed that he did not wish visitation at that time.

You will need an attorney to look over the paper work, but I would really bet, that he never signed over all rights. And you will still have to get him to sign to allow the adoption.

And yes TN does require marriage for about one year prior to adoption.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 18, 2015, 07:50 AM
    Just because you have sole custody does not necessarily mean he "signed over his rights." Sole custody simply means that you have custody of the children. By signing "over his rights" he would have no right in making decisions when it comes to the health and wellbeing of the children involved.

In the state of Tennessee, your fiancé cannot adopt. You must be married for a period of no less than six months to a year, with consent of the biological father, for an adoption to be approved by a court of law.

The court looks at it this way...

If he is not committed enough to you to be your husband, he won't be committed enough to take on the role of permanent father.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2015, 08:58 AM
    As has been said you first have to be married. However, this is a perfect time to start looking around at family law attorneys because you will need one to prepare the adoption papers. That way when you have been married long enough things will be in order.
    Do you have an order for child support? I ask because sometimes (not always) knowing that they will no longer have to pay child support will push the ncp in the direction of allowing an adoption.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 18, 2015, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    ... The court looks at it this way...

If he is not committed enough to you to be your husband, he won't be committed enough to take on the role of permanent father.
    Which brings up the question: you have two children together but yet you have not "tied the knot". Why not (no pun intended)?

You have been in a relationship for at least 9 months (or 18, unless they are twins). Isn't that long enough for him to be just a "fiancé"?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What rights towards my children do I have if I was granted sole custody? [ 6 Answers ]

Does my kids father have any rights if I was granted sole custodian of my 4 children? I want to take their father's last name off, I wasn't to terminate any rights he could have. How can I go about? Their biological father left the country about a year ago and has not paid any court ordered child...

My children's father left the country and I need a sole custody [ 14 Answers ]

My children's father has left the country for few months already. He is not american but he is a resident. I am not american either but my children are. I am unemployed and I have no way to support my kids and myself here. I am trying to go back to my country where I will have my family's support...

My ex-mother in law is trying to adopt my 3 older children, but one doesn't want this [ 1 Answers ]

My 3 older children have been in the temp. custody of their grandmother for 10 years and now she wants to adopt them to claim them on her social security. My 15 year old son has recently been put on 6 months probation and wants to live with me. I am the biological mother. I have read if I try to...

Sole Custody and Travel with minor children [ 1 Answers ]

My son's mother did not list my name on his brith certificate when he was born, but for 7 years has acknowledged me as the father, accepting regular child support payments and visitation every second weekend. Can she take him out of the country without a parental consent form?

View more questions Search