Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deva820 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 08:28 PM
    Court Summon
    Hi,

I mistakenly received my friends summon. Now he is not interested in collecting it from me. What should I do now? Can I return the summon back to court? Please advise.

Thanks and Regards,
    Deva.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 08:37 PM
    If you were served and you are named on the paper work, you need to appear, the person sueing you could easily decide to sue you that morning if you don't show up.

If you were seved by mistake and you are not the person named on the summons you need to notify the court you were served by mistake

Apr 10, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. My name is not on the summon. The summon was meant only for him and he wasn't at home when it arrived. I signed and received it. So will I be held responsible if he does not answer in 30 days?

Thanks Again,
    Deva.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 05:33 AM
    Hello deva:

If you're not being sued, and HE is, that has NOTHING to do with you. THROW IT AWAY.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 11, 2007, 05:46 AM
    I would do two things.

One, I would tell your "friend" to not get you in the middle. That whether he collects the summons or not, is not going to save him from being sued or having a judgement entered against him. That he's better off facing up to the issue and not trying to dodge it. That, if the plaintiff can prove that you are friends who have had contact, he can have it looked at by the court as a valid service. So not accepting the summons from you is not enough to plead non-service.

Two, I would mail the summons back to the court with a short note saying that you are not the person named and received it in error.

Apr 11, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Thanks all for the suggestions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

I got a summon at my door for an unpaid credit card. [ 4 Answers ]

I got a summon at my door from a lawyer and it said I have to appear in court in 20 days. I went to court and they told me I have to call the law firm first. They want to collect a debt for Chase for $6839. I owed $5400, I guess the interest kept growing for the last 3 years. How should I approach...

Superior Court and Supreme Court [ 4 Answers ]

Is a "Superior court" the same thing as the "Supreme Court"?

Court very soon [ 5 Answers ]

hi I am soon going to court for my divorce and custody for my 9 year old daughter, who wants to live with me,me and my soon to be x husband will be separated 10 mo in a few days yes I left the home and went to my moms down the road which I thought was only for a night to get some rest but of course...

Going to Court [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question, I am going to court for a debt with a law office regarding a credit card that I have been paying since last July. I have sent letters to the law office stating that I owe the debt and that I intend to pay it and have been paying each month. They wanted a certain amount I did...

View more questions Search