Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2015, 05:02 AM
    Joint Pain
    Friend has pain in his joints. May have arthritis . Is there an x-ray
    package or must he have separate x-rays of his back, knee, hip, etc.
    He doesn't have any health insurance either.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2015, 05:54 AM
    Here's what I do with joint pain and it's very inexpensive. I take regular aspirin and grind it up in a smallbowl. I add a couple of drops of water to make it into a paste. Then I rub it on the painful area. It soaks in and goes right to the problem. It definitely works for me so maybe he will want to try it.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 18, 2015, 05:58 AM
    Joint Pain Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments and Causes - RightDiagnosis.com

Diagnosing joint pain and its root cause begins with taking a thorough personal and family medical history, including symptoms, and completing a physical examination.
    Making a diagnosis also includes performing a variety of other tests to help to determine potential underlying diseases, conditions or disorders, such as joint separations, arthritis and bone cancer. Depending on the suspected cause, tests can include blood tests, culture and sensitivity of synovial fluid (joint fluid), and imaging tests, such as X-ray, CT scan, nuclear scans, and MRI.
    A diagnosis of joint pain and its cause can easily be delayed or missed because joint pain may be mild and for other reasons. For information on misdiagnosis, refer to misdiagnosis of joint pain.
    There is more to it than just an X-ray, insurance or not it starts with a doctor, and if you can find a free X-ray clinic you can find a free clinic with a doctor. No Obama Care in your state?
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2015, 07:00 AM
    It a dilemma. Gentlemen lives with elderly father on social security income . The son is 60 years old.Unemployed. No medicaid in Florida either. Obamacare is only for people that file income taxes.There are 400,000 people in Florida without health care.
    Thanks for the advice
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 18, 2015, 07:08 AM
    Forget Obamacare, it's a sham.

Seeing a doctor, giving reports of symptoms as well as blood tests and x-Rays, is how arthritis is diagnosed. At 60 years old it's quite probable that he has arthritis. He needs to discuss his options with his primary care provider.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2015, 07:10 AM
    He has no insurance. Only income is from his father's meager social security check.
    Expert

Jun 18, 2015, 07:37 AM
    He needs to discuss his issues with his primary care provider.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2015, 07:58 AM
    Thank you so much
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 18, 2015, 08:54 AM
    I'm willing to say sure, he probably has arthritis. I never bothered with X rays.
    I hurt so much at age 68 that my vocabulary is mostly one word now, OW. But I have other aches, from pinched nerves in my spine as I get shorter. And I have a set of scarred nerves from too much heavy work 40 years ago.
    I can't take aspirin, nor can I reach many parts of my body with any sort of 'rub' like Icy Hot or Bengay or Oliver's aspirin ground up.
    SO
    I take both Tylenol and ibuprofin, generic. I vary it by how much I ache, and I can't say that I jump up and run around, but at least I'm not screaming. It takes the edge off.
    I take one each of 500 mg every few hours, trying not to take too much. None of them are good for your kidneys. I often take 2 each, or I take 2 of 1 and 1 of the other. Each person has their own feelings about each drug.
    Drink plenty of fluids to help your kidneys.
    Oh, and a big heating pad is my best friend.

[Just looked up FL Medicaid - wow! None for low income adults. What about DISABLED adults? Has he tried to get SSI?)
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2015, 09:06 AM
    I can't do aspirin orally either, that's why I do the paste. Aspirin just tears up my belly. I can do safety coated aspirin but I just think the paste works better and quicker. But I am guessing you don't get the heart benefits if you do the paste.

Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I'm willing to say sure, he probably has arthritis. I never bothered with X rays.
    I hurt so much at age 68 that my vocabulary is mostly one word now, OW. But I have other aches, from pinched nerves in my spine as I get shorter. And I have a set of scarred nerves from too much heavy work 40 years ago.
    I can't take aspirin, nor can I reach many parts of my body with any sort of 'rub' like Icy Hot or Bengay or Oliver's aspirin ground up.
    SO
    I take both Tylenol and ibuprofin, generic. I vary it by how much I ache, and I can't say that I jump up and run around, but at least I'm not screaming. It takes the edge off.
    I take one each of 500 mg every few hours, trying not to take too much. None of them are good for your kidneys. I often take 2 each, or I take 2 of 1 and 1 of the other. Each person has their own feelings about each drug.
    Drink plenty of fluids to help your kidneys.
    Oh, and a big heating pad is my best friend.

[Just looked up FL Medicaid - wow! None for low income adults. What about DISABLED adults? Has he tried to get SSI?)
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2015, 09:57 AM
    Yes I have known people that take Warfarin and cannot take anything with aspirin.
    So if they have back problem it is difficult to get relief
    current pert

Jun 18, 2015, 11:23 AM
    Tylenol is for pain. Ibuprofin is for inflammation. Since they go together so often, people take both or either.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2015, 11:48 AM
    So Joy is it safe for a person on blood thinners to take
    Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen(Tylenol). Do you believe the brand name Tylenol is better than the generic Acetaminophen.

I believe either one has any aspirin
    current pert

Jun 18, 2015, 12:20 PM
    I won't answer the 'safe' part for any prescribed drug in conjunction with OTC drugs, but the doctor would probably say OK, just keep careful track and don't take a lot. ALL have some dangers - aspirin is tough on the stomach lining, and ibuprofin on the kidneys, and even the safest of all, aceptaminophen (yes, just the same as Tylenol), carries a liver warning.
    I keep huge bottles on hand. Cheaper that way.
    Even a small bottle of aspirin. Wrap in a gauze pad for a cold sore inside the mouth. Put in warm water for a plantar wart.
    Best 3 things in a medicine chest.

Arthritis also needs:
    Gentle movement, frequently. Wiggle your way around the house.
    Warmth - heating pad, bath, shower, extra clothing
    NO alcohol or very little, maybe a little wine
    Avoid sugar like the plague. That was my downfall. 50 years of it adds tons of extra painful inflammation.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2015, 12:46 PM
    "Avoid sugar like the plague. That was my downfall. 50 years of it adds tons of extra painful inflammation."

I've never heard that before Joy. Wow.
    Expert

Jun 18, 2015, 02:16 PM
    Tylenol and Motrin (acetaminophen and ibuprofen) are both safe for patients on warfarin.
    current pert

Jun 18, 2015, 03:39 PM
    Sugar produces cytokines, a step in the path toward inflammation. Our bodies produce anti-inflammatories (anti-oxidants), and we can eat them too, but sugar is one big inflamer for overpowering the good forces.
    The main other ones are alcohol (breaks down same way as sugar), trans/saturated/omega 6 fats, and refined flour (breaks down to glycogen, same as sugar).

What is inflammation? It's oxidation. It's when a molecule has lost electrons to invading 'oxygen free radicals,' the bad guys. Once they start winning, a chain reaction of oxidation starts. Arthritis is one form of inflammation. Why does it hurt? Cells are damaged, internal scarring occurs, and some complicated chemistry goes on.
    Ultra Member

Jun 18, 2015, 04:11 PM
    Very instructional
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 18, 2015, 05:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Sugar produces cytokines, a step in the path toward inflammation. Our bodies produce anti-inflammatories (anti-oxidants), and we can eat them too, but sugar is one big inflamer for overpowering the good forces.
    The main other ones are alcohol (breaks down same way as sugar), trans/saturated/omega 6 fats, and refined flour (breaks down to glycogen, same as sugar).

What is inflammation? It's oxidation. It's when a molecule has lost electrons to invading 'oxygen free radicals,' the bad guys. Once they start winning, a chain reaction of oxidation starts. Arthritis is one form of inflammation. Why does it hurt? Cells are damaged, internal scarring occurs, and some complicated chemistry goes on.
    Yes, and most of us survive with arthritis, joy. I do, and with gout to, by taking Advil ( I am on a low dose 81mg aspirin) during an episode. Key is keeping active. And don't forget some of us have a low ot high tolerance for pain and that makes a big difference.
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2015, 03:21 AM
    Sometimes the golden years are not so golden. I am over 70 myself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain in hip joint [ 3 Answers ]

Pain in hip joint has lasted for several months. Have tried resting it, taking nsaids. Pain diminishes some, so I feel like exercising and it seems worse after running. Already take fish oil and glucosamine and chondroitin. 57 year old female, otherwise good health. Are there tests that can...

Joint pain [ 0 Answers ]

I woke up this morning feeling flu like, took my temperature and it said 98 degrees. I've been nauseous, dizzy and tired all day, then around this afternoon my joints from the top of my spine downs to my calves have been hurting really really bad

Joint pain [ 5 Answers ]

Every once in awhile one of my joints start throbbing. Like it starts in my shoulders then moves to elbows. Wrist , this has gone on since I was 15 probably and I'm 21 now happens every couple months sometimes twice close together

Joint pain [ 0 Answers ]

Went to the dr. in Sept. with knee pain and stiffness, x-rays should I have Arthrites in 3 spots and pointy things growing. Pills gave me heartburn so stopped taking them after 3 days. Now the pain is in my back, hands, shoulder, neck and even the base of my head. Can't do anything for more then...

Joint Pain Everywhere [ 11 Answers ]

I'm eighteen years old and I've been experiencing joint pain lately, and was wondering where it's coming from. It started when I sprained my ankle last month, and then my knee started swelling up out of nowhere. Then my whole leg started swelling... The pain started from my ankle and knee to my...

View more questions Search