Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikemlr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2015, 10:02 AM
    The owner of my hotel wants the property to pay the framing costs (about $20k) of a v
    The owner of my hotel wants the property to pay the framing costs (about $20k) of a very expense tapestry that she owns. Should she pay for it or can I post this to a FF&E account?
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2015, 10:25 AM
    Is the framing cost for the tapestry for the owners benefit or the hotels benefit. If the cost is strictly for the owners benefit then the owner should pay the cost herself or you could treat the cost as an owner withdrawal.

If the owner is giving the hotel the tapestry then the framing cost would be an expense. If this is the case you will need more guidance or clarification from the owner or CPA on how to handle the expense. The expense could be an operating expense, which will be on the income statement or a capital expense, which will affect the balance sheet.

For FF&E I assume you mean PP&E.
    jerileycpa Posts: 27, Reputation: 2
    Certified Public Accountant

Jun 18, 2015, 11:42 AM
    I agree with pready. If the framed tapestry will be going to the owner's home, then it is a personal expense not a business expense. The bill should not be paid by the business. Instead, she should take an owner withdrawal and then pay the bill with her checking account or credit card.

If the owner is gifting the tapestry to the business and it is going to be hung in the hotel as a decoration, then the value of the tapestry should be recorded as an asset in exchange for stock or an owner's contribution (depending on the type of entity). The tapestry then becomes the property of the hotel and if she takes it back, that would be a withdrawal or distribution of assets.

In that case, the framing can be paid for by the hotel and should be capitalized under furniture and fixtures along with the tapestry itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hotel costs? [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I posted in the HVAC board about my AC being out. I can totally fix it myself. But they tell me I am not allowed because it is a rental. So I have to wait for them to come out. The law gives them 72 hours to get it done. But 3 days is 3 days. And the temps are over 100 right now. Its been 90*...

What steps to file a property lien in California for $20K? Family member not paying! [ 1 Answers ]

Paid for Sister-in-laws Ca. divorce 2 yrs ago. And many mortgage payments to help the family in the last 5 yrs. Lending over 20K. Just found out that she re-financed the home with her ex-husband! They took out 25K to fix and repair damage to the home done by their adult children. Now once repairs...

Truck/camper parked on my property owner won't pay rent can I take title to truck [ 3 Answers ]

I agreed to let friend park truck w camper on my property. After a few months I told him to move it off or pay rent. He moved it but a month later parked it there without a word . Called called person told him he had to pay rent to park on property. Its going on 4 months ,no payment .talked last...

Is adjacent property owner obligated to pay? [ 4 Answers ]

Recently, high winds blew down the fence between me and my next door neighbor. My neighbor had just recently moved in and is not the property owner. I replaced the fence paying all cost. However, my neighbor will not divulge the landlord's address for whatever reason. I did a property...

Line of Credit - 20k (Cannot pay) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need your help as every other person nowadays is with Debt. I had a 20k line of credit (From RBC) outstanding for a while now (2 yrs). The case has been forwarded to NCO collection agency. Now the problem is that they keep on harassing me and calling me. At this point in time I have...

View more questions Search