Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ThePotato Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 15, 2015, 05:32 PM
    How do I get my parents to let me switch schools?
    Im 11 uears old and about to go into middle school. Well, not exactly. My parents enrolled me in a charter school when I was in 4th grade because my elementary school didn't have the brightest teatchers. And this charter school goes all the way up until high school. I really want to go to a normal middle school because everyone I know is going there. Plus my teatcher is leaving (considered the best) and in the charter school you stay with the same teatcher until 7th grade. I have tried most soultions of trying to talk it out and act really depressed (which isn't very hard to do considering the situation.)
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2015, 08:08 PM
    Many times parents make decisions for their children that aren't popular with their children but are the best decision for their children. You will understand that more when you have your own children. Your parents aren't trying to ruin your social life and I know that's important to you. They're trying to have you earn a good education which is very important in life. Playing games or creating unnecessary drama will never get you where you want to be.

My parents were strict especially my mom. I always found that if I presented my issue maturely with good reasons that my parents would listen and we could talk it out. But you need to realize that sometimes you're going to get a no and sometimes you're going to get a yes. You have to handle both well. I know as a child we all think when we have kids we're going to let them do whatever they want. But I promise you, it doesn't work that way.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 15, 2015, 09:31 PM
    Sorry guy, you may as well accept what your parents have decided because they are not likely to change their minds, and make the best of it. You can still keep old friends AFTER school, summers,and holidays, weekends, and make new ones in school, while you work to be a good student which is the whole purpose of being in the school you are in.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 15, 2015, 09:41 PM
    You're 11, that means that your parents make the decisions. You can talk to them, tell them why you want to switch schools, be reasonable instead of moping around acting depressed, make a list of why switching schools is academically the best option. But in the end it's their decision.

You're a child, you don't know what's best for you, that's why you have parents that make the decisions for you. Until you're 18, they make the decisions. Best to just suck it up and do what you're supposed to do.

School is a job, it's your first foray into a structured environment where you have to work to get to where you want to be. It's teaching you to be an adult.

Yes, school is also fun, there are friends to hang out with at lunch or recess, there are school activities, but school isn't about hanging out, it's about getting an education and learning to live within structure, which you'll have to do once you graduate and start working for a living.

Just like real life, you don't quit a job because all your friends work somewhere else, unless they work at a much better job, for more pay. See where I'm going? You don't go to a bad school because all your friends are there, when you're in a good school. You stay at the good school, because that's the smart thing to do.

Thank goodness your parents are old enough, mature enough, and wise enough to make wise decisions on your behalf.

Good luck. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2015, 12:52 AM
    What situation, you are in a better school, (if you have been there all these years, why are your friends not from that school. Why are "all your friends" from outside that school. Sorry, it is never "all of them" so some of your friends are going to another school. Did they not go before, or did their parents take them out of the other school?

But it sounds correct, parents put their children in the better schools if they can afford it, you therefor, learn to make the best of it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 18, 2015, 10:14 PM
    Good point Chuck. If the poster has been in this school for so many years, why are all his friends at a different school? Why not make friends with the kids in his school?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I convince my parents to let me switch schools? [ 6 Answers ]

The reason I want to switch is I go to a only boys schools and some are really gay but its too embarrassing to say that and it's a very igh class and it was just luck that got me in there and amost everyone bullies me. Plus I just don't fit in the school. I have this great school in mind and I have...

How to convince parents to move schools? [ 15 Answers ]

I go to Catholic high school and I'm really unhappy there. Even though I have "friends", I feel so excluded and ignored all the time and I hang out by myself in the toilets and library almost every lunch. I've had this problem for more than a year where I break down and cry and resort to self-harm...

Should I switch schools for grade 12? [ 1 Answers ]

I've gone to a private school for quite a few years now and well I realized that the education system isn't all that great. The marking system is easier, the teachers don't give us a chance to do things independently... many students don't even read the textbook, you can kind of say its spoon...

View more questions Search