Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sigmadelt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2015, 10:10 AM
    Well water issue - air in line or new well needed?
    Existing well almost 40 years old. Recently started experiencing reduced pressure and cloudy water. Not sure if issue pump or well or broken line. Contacted plumber who suggested I contact well driller who troubleshoots pumps. Well contractor came, tested the Gould pump, and said indeed pump was having difficulty pulling water from the well, and the problem could be either the end of the well pump's lifetime (steel housing - installed in 1977) or a broken waterline.
    In order to get second opinion, contacted another plumber who pressure checked the Gould and pulled water. Thought the pressure reading within an acceptable range although at the maximum level. Said he would check with his Gould expert and get back to me.

Over the course of the next several days the water spurting out of the faucets and the john became more forceful and continued to be cloudy. The plumber followed up and said the consensus was that the pump was struggling to pull water up and that the well equipment had probably reached the end of its functional life.

Decided to install new well - had to get lot cleared and fence removed which took place today. Contractors dug up fence posts obviously set in concrete, and after they left, noticed that water still cloudy (clears in about 20 sec) but running smoothly- no spurting.

What to do now? New well or not?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 15, 2015, 11:11 AM
    I confused. Did you sink a new well or did you just clear the area so a new well can be sunk?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 20, 2015, 09:44 AM
    Since you state that you already installed a new well and still have cloudy water it will take some time for the new well to settle down to where your new water will run clear.
    Lots of luck with your new well.
    Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Air in well water line [ 16 Answers ]

We're getting a lot of air in our water supply from a private well. This seems to coincide with a change made to the well. Here are the details: 1. About 2 years ago, the well casing was shortened by about 3 feet, the pitless adapter was moved down the same 3 feet, and pump was lowered 3...

Air in water line from a water well water softener [ 2 Answers ]

This is a real puzzler. I have a Mark 89 culligan softener and have been getting air blasts ONLY from the outside hose spigot that does not go through the softener. When I use the bypass valve on the softener, I get the air problem throughout the house so it would seem that the softener is...

We have air in our hot water line in the kitchen.. there have been a few water breaks [ 0 Answers ]

Thre have been several water breaks in our area(town problems) and it seems like the air in our kitchen hot/cold water line gets worse each time. It seems to be worse on the hot water side... it is OK in the rest of the home.What could be causing the problem. Thanks in advance for the answer.

Air in water line [ 1 Answers ]

There is a noise that comes and goes in one of our bathrooms. I think it is air in the water line. Since yesterday it seems to be coming and going more often. How do I resolve this problem?

Air in house water line, city water [ 1 Answers ]

About midnight, I turned on the upstairs water and air came out with smelly black stuff. It instantly bled the line and flushed the black stuff out. The upstairs toliets also had trapped air that bled out. Is this a problem with my house system or is it from the city water supply? Also, is the...

View more questions Search