Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Jun 13, 2015, 11:48 AM
    My dtv converter box shows chaotic static. VCR and TV work.
    My converter box has worked fine with my vcr (yes, I'm old), but now when I put it on to record something, I get a lot of crazy lines all over the TV screen and can't get the menu to rescan or record, or anything else. It was fine before, but now the vcr can play tapes I have and not record anything new. The TV is fine, too. I have a rooftop antenna only. No changes were made before this problem began. Help!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 13, 2015, 05:38 PM
    Check this out,

Common problems with DTV converters, reception, and solutions

Let me know if it helps old guy.

Jun 14, 2015, 04:40 AM
    Thank you for the link. I did check a few other sources before posting this question, but none of the suggestions have helped.
    Expert

Jun 14, 2015, 05:12 AM
    Usually when electronic components go wrong and the fix is beyond your technical capacity, it's time to replace, or upgrade. The expense of time, parts, and tools just makes that the best way to go.

How long have you had this converter? If it's over 3 years... junk it.

Jun 14, 2015, 07:29 AM
    I've had this Digital Stream DTX9950 converter box for a year, purchased brand new and identical to the one it replaced that the power company fried for me (along with various other damage to appliances which I was reimbursed for). I agree that repair makes no sense, but I'm trying to determine if the problem is actually with the converter box. In other words, is the symptom I described indicative of a specific problem?
    Expert

Jun 14, 2015, 08:41 AM
    Do you use surge protectors for your electronic components? Is your converter under warranty? If you fried one already, it's quite possible you fried this one too, unless you took steps to protect it. If your TV, and VCR are still working properly, that would certainly narrow the problem down for me.

Do you use a remote with this unit and have you tried reprogramming the codes in the remote?

In other words, is the symptom I described indicative of a specific problem?
    Of course, but no way to tell unless you can remove the converter and try it with a similar set up, or try another converter on your system. Have you tried manual programming without the remote? Once I can eliminate the remote though for sure, replace/upgrade is the next logical step.

Curious as to how well your system performs without free HD. My stuff looks really good without it.

Hope I have answered your question, if not, let me know.

Jun 14, 2015, 11:30 AM
    I do use a surge protector on my computer and it's what saved it when the power problem happened. The surge protector sacrificed itself, but the TV, VCR, and converter box are separate, in another room and without a surge protector. The VCR had to be replaced, too, but the TV survived. (I can't get computer stuff on my TV.) I just finished installing a converter from a different TV and got the same problem, so I don't think it's the converter box that's at fault. I also tried switching some of the cables, but nothing changed. I do use a remote, but the menu doesn't show up--just that static--so I really can't program anything. Same with the converter I tried from the other TV. My TV isn't HD.
    Expert

Jun 14, 2015, 12:03 PM
    Finish the process of elimination by installing the first converter to the different TV, the box should work, right?

If not, you know it's bad, and have another bad component as well. You have not eliminated the remote as a problem either.

Jun 14, 2015, 12:28 PM
    I installed the first converter to the different TV and it works fine. So does the remote.
    Expert

Jun 14, 2015, 12:44 PM
    You said the TV and VCR works so what have we missed here? I see nothing left to check, but the connection from the antenna to the box, and the one from the box to the TV. After that, I would be stumped.

Fingers crossed

Jun 14, 2015, 03:26 PM
    So confusing. All the connections are snug. The first TV (where the problem showed up) has a VCR. (The other one doesn't and that converter box connects only to a TV.) I can still use the VCR to watch tapes on TV number one. I can't record anything because I need to program that through the converter box and I can't get the menu--just the static. Maybe something happened to the VCR ? Beats me. I don't even know which item needs to be replaced.
    Expert

Jun 14, 2015, 03:54 PM
    Tight connections don't mean the wires are not bad. What kind are they? How old are they?

Jun 14, 2015, 05:10 PM
    I don't know how to determine what kind they are. I used the ones from the 2nd converter when I installed it in the problem location and the ones from the problem location when I tried the converter in the second location. I also tried two new ones I had, but nothing changed. All the cables work in location #2 so it seems they're fine.
    Expert

Jun 14, 2015, 07:04 PM
    Okay then we can assume for some reason the problem may be in LOCATION #1. Where it plugs in? Outlets maybe? Guess I'm reaching but why not?
    Expert

Jun 15, 2015, 06:27 AM
    Hope you are still there guy, as maybe the problem is in the VCR record mode. Does TV w/VCR record in the other location? Also try recording without the converter.

If you cannot record without the converter, then the VCR is the problem.

Aug 28, 2015, 07:41 AM
    Sorry for my long absence. I was incapacitated. I switched cables around and fiddled with some settings on the vcr. I may have done the same with the converter box, but I got tired of noting what I did so I can't determine if it helped. Now I can record and watch tapes, but the converter has to be on in both cases. I get a screen of snow when I first put the converter on, not the blue screen I got before, but when I start to program the vcr or play a tape, I get the programming screen and it works. So, I have what I need. Thank you, talaniman, for your patience and help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting vizio hook up hdtv without converter box to vcr [ 0 Answers ]

How do you hook up vizio 26 inches HDTV without converter box with my Phillips Dvd and vcr combo? Is there a way record a show without converter box. Let me know. Thanks

VCR/DVD Hookup without converter box [ 1 Answers ]

I have cable via a cable jack in the wall NOT a converter box. I have a vcr hooked up now and I want to add a separate dvd recorder. How do I add/hookup the dvd recorder so that I can still record with both the vcr and the new dvd? I need to be able to use the timer recording feature on both...

Can I record with my VCR on my HDTV and Analog TV's that have a converter box? [ 1 Answers ]

I could record with the VCR on my HDTV because I still had analog stations; but since the digital switchover on 6/12/09, I have not been able to record anything. Can you help me with this? I also have a VCR on an analog TV w/converter box and would like to know if I can record on that TV? I...

DTV converter box [ 5 Answers ]

I have a TV on my back porch that works with rabbit ears. I have sat inside house. I received coupons for converter box but store tells me I will need an outside antena. Says will not work with rabbit ears. True or false?

Connecting dtv, cable box, to vcr/dvd to TV [ 2 Answers ]

I have Direct Tv, Medicom Cable Box, I want to connect them to my vcr/dvd which does not have a built in tuner. I can get one or the other to record, but not both with out unhooking the other. Can this be done?

View more questions Search