Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Luck0rN0t Posts: 263, Reputation: 45

Jun 11, 2015, 11:18 PM
    A really interesting read on alcohol addiction and AA vs. other approaches
    I apologize this is not a question, but a really interesting article on the AA approach vs. a medical approach to alcohol addiction.

My opinion is that without the AA program, I would not be sober today, nor for as long as I have, but it is interesting to read about what medical advances have been made and how other countries address alcohol addiction.

The Irrationality of Alcoholics Anonymous - The Atlantic
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 09:08 AM
    AA has helped 1000's of people. While I did not use it myself, I have had close friends that did.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 12:18 PM
    I have embraced the advances of science that make it possible to help more people but I have an issue with disparaging what once was the only place a suffering person could turn to for help. Some places are better than others as some AA groups were better than others, and still are.

As in all things though more will be revealed later, but I cannot say that my experience was/is a religious one, but spiritual, in mind, body, and soul. Alcohol/drugs is but a symptom of a greater problem that needs addressing in my mind, and recovery is more dependent on that discovery of the root issues, as much as abstinence.

Sorry I ain't into the hope of drinking responsibly in the future, as tempting as that may be, by taking a pill, or exercising self control, but as was said the more help for those that suffer... the better. That adjustment was made along time ago.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 02:29 PM
    My husband benefited from the 12 step program, but then he had always embraced his christriantry. He is now 8 years sober snd helping others enlighten themselves. It is an uphill battle and no turning back.
    Luck0rN0t Posts: 263, Reputation: 45

Jun 12, 2015, 11:27 PM
    AA came about when there was no hope for people who could not quit drinking and has been saving lives and families for what, 75 - 80 years now? Bill W. and Dr. Bob accomplished what the medical community of their time could not. They found a way for us hopeless alcoholics to find relief from the constant obsession of the body and mind, by following a simple set of steps when medical doctors had given up.

I am not, at all, interested in bashing AA, or arguing what percentage it helps. If it saves one person's life, it is worth it. I imagine it has helped tens or hundreds of thousands of us. Without AA, I would probably be in jail, dead, or still wishing I were dead every other day of my life. The program is fantastic and I can see in my daily life how it can and should be practiced in all of my affairs.

I know the program works. I do not agree with everything in the article, I just find that it contains some valid and interesting points. While it is the only way I know to stay sober, I think it is about time the medical community (as well as police, courts, prisons and health care system) be willing and open minded in looking at additional solutions to a growing problem. Spend more time and money on prevention and recovery options rather than incarceration.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need help with alcohol addiction [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, 1st post, I'm trying to get help to get my life back together. I was diagnosed as a child with ADHD and given Ritalin at a very young age. Was given the drug into my teens and sequentially taken off. I was fine till I turned into my 20's where I started social drinking and smoking. Things...

Alcohol Addiction [ 5 Answers ]

Is there a cure for an alcoholic

Alcohol Addiction [ 7 Answers ]

If I Drank 4 Little Bottles That Are 50ml Each Between 1200pm And 1230pm Will It Show Up In A Urine Test At 730pm

Addiction to alcohol [ 6 Answers ]

Is my partner an alcoholic when he is drinking 6,7,or 8 big bottles of beer every second night the amount depending on whether he has a vomit in between. After the first 4 he becomes argumentative and I end up sleeping in the spare room. Next morning he says what did I do wrong. I think he needs...

Just looking for some support, an interesting read though [ 8 Answers ]

Quick story Ok. That's not true. Long story made semi-long, with proper spelling and punctuation. Very good friends for 3 years, went to Uni together, both knew each other while dating other people. Always had a thing for each other but timing never worked out. Eventually, we were both...

View more questions Search