Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JENKDAVE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2015, 09:09 AM
    Should I turn my hot water heater off for vacation
    Should I turn my oil fired hot water off when I go on a one (1) week vacation?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jun 11, 2015, 09:50 AM
    I don't think that is necessary. I don't turn mine off when I go on vacation, at times for three weeks.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2015, 01:13 PM
    Just turn the temp down. I would turn off the house water though, just in case a pipe breaks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 11, 2015, 01:42 PM
    I disagree. Why pay for the lost of energy when you are not using it? Also, turning off the water to the house is the cheapest insurance you will ever buy. If you would have a leak while you are gone you won't have to worry about flooding from your tank.
    Good luck, Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 11, 2015, 01:56 PM
    I agree, especially with turning of the main water supply.

Since this is oil fired it is probably a combination heating system and domestic hot water system. The savings probably not worth the hassle of relighting, unless there is a "stand-by" setting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If I turn gas hot water heater dial to the left to just above vacation, will temp dro [ 4 Answers ]

I rent in Tucson, Az, and have a gas hot water heater, its outside enclosed in a shiny like insulated box, the sun hits it quite a bit and of course with tripe digit temps, the ground water is a lot warmer. I opened it up and found the temp control, I turned the dial to the right and set it just...

Hot Water Heater And Vacation [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Have the typical gas fired hot water heater in house; the vertical cylindrical kind. Never thought about this much, but after plumbing sprang a pinhole leak, thought I'd better. When going on summer vacation, I guess the smart thing would be to just turn off the house water, and put...

Keep hot water heater on while on vacation? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it less expensive to keep hot water heated while I'm on vacation by keeping the temp at it's regular setting, or should I turn the thermostat on pilot?

Plumbing question, Winter vacation, turn off the Gas water heater or not [ 1 Answers ]

Going on a two months vacation in Jan and Feb. Home in NJ, should I turn off the Gas Water Heater and drain it ore not?

Hot water heater - vacation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to shut off my water supply while I am on vacation. I plan to put the gas control valve on "pilot" while I am gone, and let the pilot continue to burn. Is this OK? Should I open a hot water faucet in the house to relieve any possible pressure buildup due to thermal expansion? The heater...

View more questions Search