Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    igottogonow Posts: 128, Reputation: 2

Jun 11, 2015, 08:51 AM
    ATT internet service poor
    I have ATT internet service DSL and it is very poor it has no range and I just purchased a new router. The WiFi is never dependable. Does anyone know how to increast signal and dependability? I have thought about changing internet providers but not real sure.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 11, 2015, 09:00 AM
    Complain to AT&T, and see if they can check and service your issues.

Jun 11, 2015, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Complain to AT&T, and see if they can check and service your issues.
    Been there done that always looks good to ATT.
    Expert

Jun 11, 2015, 03:28 PM
    Are you saying it works great while they are there, and doesn't when they leave, or they couldn't solve your problem? Did someone actually come out, and run tests coordinated with a remote tech?

Apartment, home, or RURAL location? Does the internet work better with an ethereal direct connection?

Look into other service providers in your area, and weigh your option. If a provider has NO solutions they are useless.....and an expensive burden.

Be aware all the ISP's may use the same junction box.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 11, 2015, 03:37 PM
    Are you sure you have everything set up correctly on your end? Also location of the wireless router is key to how far and where it goes. Is your line secure so no one else is using it ?

Jun 12, 2015, 06:59 AM
    ATT ALWAYS Checks system from their location and never sends out a tech. Ethernet net works good. Wireless and WiFi not good. What is ethereal it it the same as Ethernet? TWC but no one gives it great reviews. I was looking at some type of booster or range extender but will this work with WiFi?

Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Are you saying it works great while they are there, and doesn't when they leave, or they couldn't solve your problem? Did someone actually come out, and run tests coordinated with a remote tech?

Apartment, home, or RURAL location? Does the internet work better with an ethereal direct connection?

Look into other service providers in your area, and weigh your option. If a provider has NO solutions they are useless... and an expensive burden.

Be aware all the ISP's may use the same junction box.
    Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 07:37 AM
    Yes ethernet and ethereal cables are BASICALLY the same but here is your problem,

ATT ALWAYS Checks system from their location and never sends out a tech.

I have never heard of a tech not being dispatched and think you should insist on one. Ask why they cannot SCHEDULE one for you.

At this point I suspect your set up to be flawed to be honest, and you need a tech to "unflaw" it before you go about trying to add anything else. It could be as simple as a connection, or a failure to sign into your own wireless network properly, or anything to be frank about it.

Get a tech out to your location. I have used every freaking cable provider in my area, and satellites and dishes. They all have sent a tech out for any problems I have incurred.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2015, 10:23 AM
    Actually, the first step is for AT&T to check the lines from their end. AT&T is NOT responsible for any further access beyond their broadband modem. So if the signal to the broadband modem is good, they are done.

So the question becomes how you are configuring your wireless router.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jun 12, 2015, 11:23 AM
    I think there is some confusion about what part of your system is not working to your satisfaction. The modem is what controls your internet access. It sounds like that part is working correctly if AT&T's test is to be believed.

You say that you have replaced the router which is the device used to connect multiple devices to the modem and, in some cases, to each other. Does it have software for monitoring the router and connections (signals) to it? For example: Netgear offers Netgear Genie, a program that helps manage the router.

How many wireless devices do you have connecting to the router? Remember to count smart phones, tablets, book readers, computers, printers, and any other device that connects to other devices through a wireless connection such as some clocks, alarm systems, etc. Is your current router capable of handling all the devices you are using?

Where in your home is the router placed? Is it on a lower shelf or a higher one? Are there walls, floors, doors, plumbing, wiring, appliances, etc. between the router and the devices?

If you move the device around the home can you get a better signal and less disruption?

You might check the router's manufacturer's website for more troubleshooting ideas. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free internet service? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a question regarding AOL and other online services. I know that AOL offers free service to high speed customers, I am one of them. My question is does anyone know if other providers offer the same service? I have been unable to find this information anywhere and I was wondering if anyone...

Can ATT cgarge me legally for discontinuing long distance service? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a landline I barely use. 50 calls a month, and I only make 3 or 5 at most each month. I found I barely make long distance calls, and with the per call charge and all the fees, the cost is ridiculous, $5.72 for only a 1 minute call one month, the only one I made. I want to stop long...

Poor customer service [ 12 Answers ]

I was at a verizon wireless store the other day and witness such rudeness I was astonished. A customer walked over to the customer service desk and told one of the reps that she needed 2 phone upgrades and that she walked over to the sales desk and no one was there. She was told very rudely by a...

Poor Internet Performance! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys. Am expiriencing a problem with 3 of the machines in our office. We have almost 24 computers connected to the LAN and internet. 21 are accessing the internet perfectly well (through a 24 port switch connected directly to the gateway ) but the 3 machines which have been connected through...

Poor and discriminatory service at restaurant [ 8 Answers ]

I visited an Elephant Bar in Fremont, CA Friday 7/27/07 at 5:28 p.m. I asked the greeter for a private seat where I could sit and have a drink and something to eat while waiting for tire work to be done at a nearby shop. She was very kind and instructed a lady to seat me. The seater was very...

View more questions Search