Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KayBee Zman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2015, 11:10 PM
    Annual Dividend Journal Entry Correct?
    Transaction: on December 15th 2011 the company declared the annual dividend of $2 per share on the outstanding common stock. The dividends will be paid on January 15th 2012.

Common Stock ($10 Par)... 50,000
    PIC-in excess of par common... 30,000

My answer:
    Dividends,. 10,000
    Dividends Payable... 10,000

And then since nothing else is done with that account do I close it straight to the capital or income summary
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Jun 17, 2015, 08:39 AM
    Your journal entry is correct. You first figured out the number of shares issued and outstanding then multiplied it by the dividend per share amount to get your total dividends.

Your closing entry will be a Debit to Retained Earnings and a Credit to Dividends for the amount in the dividends account when you are doing the income summary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dividend journal entry [ 0 Answers ]

Can somebody help me with this entries? The balance sheet for the clarke corporation reported the following components of equity on dec 31/2011 Common shares , unlimited shares authorized, 20000 shares issued and outstanding $460 000 Retained earnings 270 000 Equity. 730 000 In 2012...

Dividend journal entry [ 19 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with this journal entry: The company declared and distributed cash dividend totaling $6,000 to its shareholders. I think the journal entry is this, am I right? Dividends declared 6,000 Cash 6,000 Or is it

Dividend payable journal entry? [ 1 Answers ]

Dividend diya hai director ko entry kia hogai? Retained earning Dividend payable Right yeah wrong?

Dividend journal entry! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am having trouble with the following transaction: "received $2000 dividend from investment" How do I make an entry for this?:confused: Thanks :)

Journal Entry for Annual Software Maintenance [ 1 Answers ]

I own a small software development business. We charge customers maintenance fees on their software for 12 monthly installments. Should we enter a journal for each month, spreading the revenue evenly across the year, or should we enter the journal in the month it starts from? Our sales people get...

View more questions Search