Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    esj1976 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2015, 08:14 AM
    Overtime Pay
    I worked 20 hours of overtime during the week of May 25 through May 29. May 25 was considered a paid holiday. My Texas employer states that since I accrued overtime during the week of a holiday that I will not receive holiday pay, but May 25 will be considered a regular work day. So the 8 hours of holiday pay will be deducted from my overtime leaving only 4 hours of overtime. I don't understand. Even though the holiday will be treated as a regular work day I still should have 12 hours of overtime remaining. Someone please help!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 9, 2015, 08:44 AM
    I agree with you; something seems wrong.

First, I don't follow why they figure that working overtime during that week makes your holiday pay regular pay instead.

And, of course, 20 minus 8 is (or was when I went to school, anyway) 12, not 4.

Ask them to put their rationale in writing. Have you been paid for that week, and received a paystub, yet? It looks to me that you may have misunderstood them, and that you will be paid the holiday pay. That would be consistent with everything else you wrote (in particular subtracting the holiday hours from the "total overtime").
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 9, 2015, 07:44 PM
    Perhaps,

Since it is a holiday, you would get paid the holiday pay, but... 8 hours of your overtime work is paid at regular pay, since holidays do not count toward total hours work, and you have to work those 8 hours at regular pay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Georgia overtime pay law [ 21 Answers ]

I work and live in Louisiana but work for a company out of Georgia. I pay Louisiana taxes. I am told that I am not allowed overtime pay according to Georgia laws. Is this true?

Does Walmart owe us overtime pay? [ 9 Answers ]

I work at a Walmart in California. On December 24th, 2012 there was an attempted robbery at my store at about 6:30 AM... A single man went in the store with a rifle and was trying to get a manager... NOBODY was hurt in the incident... Once the associates realized what was happening, we...

Can a company pay overtime to a salaried employee [ 4 Answers ]

Worked over 40 hours in one week and was asked to work Saturday's for 8 hours each. Was told to keep track of my hours. 28 hours worked on numerous Saturdays and turned in my hours and now learned that they are only going to pay me half. Is this legal??

About overtime pay [ 2 Answers ]

I am a waitress. I was told due to gartuidy I due not get overtime pay. Is that wright? If so can I get a copy of law?

View more questions Search