Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pabloavila Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2015, 08:47 PM
    Internet access wireless router
    I need to buy a new wireless Internet router. Which type gives the fastest connection to devices.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 8, 2015, 04:48 AM
    The fastest connection to multiple devices is provided by routers that meet wireless standard 802.11ac, which is intended for applications such as streaming HD to multiple users. Make sure the one you get is also backwards compatible with older standards 802.11a/b/g/n as well so that older Wifi devices can use it. However, your speed will depend not only on the technology of the router but also the WiFi capabilities of your device(s), as well as the specifics of your physical environment (such as the distance between devices, presence of interfering walls and floors, etc ).
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 8, 2015, 11:54 AM
    I've had a Cisco Linksys E1200 for about 5 years, and it's always been reliable. A roommate upstairs a good 70' away at the far end of the house asked me to move it slightly once.
    As for speed... doesn't your service provider determine speed quite a bit? I live in the middle of nowhere with cable, and I think the length of the cable from the road, on down the line, has a lot to do with it.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 8, 2015, 12:54 PM
    Joy - yes, your speed of internet connection is limited by what your internet service provider delivers to your house, which in turn is dependent on the the specific plan you are paying for and perhaps also by the condition and demand on the network (including the number of simulataneous users in your neighborhood, especially if you have a cable internet provider). The length of the outside plant cable is generally a concern only if you are buying DSL from the phone company, although if you have an especially long drop from the street to your modem cable internet can suffer as well. It's important that if you are paying for 20 Mb/s downloads you should to check the speed of your connection to make sure you are getting what you pay for (there are free apps that can do that for you). Such a test should be done using a PC that is physically attached to the cable modem, as opposed to one operating over your Wifi network.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 8, 2015, 02:34 PM
    thanks ebaines

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to convert an old wireless linksys router into an access point [ 5 Answers ]

I just recently purchased a new Belkin Wireless N-Router to replace an older Linksys Wireless G-Router. I plan on using the old unit as an access point to expand my wireless coverage. Is there a specific order to set up? Should I just set up the Belkin first then configure the Linksys...

Getting internet through wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to hook up my wireless router. I am having trouble using my internet on my computer, yet my laptop will get the wireless connections. Here's what I did: 1: Plugged from computer to WLAN 2: Plugged the modem into the back of the router where it says too. I just don't know why I...

Wireless Router Connected but "Local" Access to Internet Only [ 1 Answers ]

I recently relocated where I had to change ISP. I am also recently divorced and my ex husband had the key to our Lynksis router, so I used an old verizon wireless to connect.. at the time my ISP was Time Warner, they're not available in my area and I am now using Comcast. Anyhow, I called tech...

Wireless router won't let me access certain domain/address [ 1 Answers ]

I have a D-Link wireless router which is servicing 2 laptops. I have trouble connecting to certain secure sites from the laptops but can do so fine with my main computer hard wired to the main router. I suspect the wireless router's default filtering/firewall is the culprit. How do I unset those...

Internet access using a router. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a home network with 2 computers, both using windows 98se. I use a router to connect both computers to the internet, however, the secondary computer can no longer access the internet. I have a connection between the 2 computers but no internet connection only on the second computer. What...

View more questions Search