Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sewilson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 06:35 PM
    Transfer of probation from Georgia to North Carolina
    I am receiving probation from the state of Georgia. The probation laws in GA state that GA only has supervised probation for 24 months. Meaning, if I received 3 years probation I would only have to report to my probation office each month for 24 out of the 36 months. I currently live in Charlotte, NC. My attorney in Savannah, GA said that it should not be a problem to transfer me probation, but that I need to see what the probation laws are in NC. For instance, in Florida if you receive 3 years probation in another state and transfer it, then you have to serve all 3 years, even if the other state agrees to unsupervised probation. I have searched and searched the internet to find what NC policy is on this and I can not find anything. My question to you is, if I receive 3 years probation or unsupervised probation (because my charge is completely ridiculous and non violent) what is North Carolina going to make me serve? Do they have a cap on the amount of time they make you report like Georgia does? Thank you in advance for any help or advice you can offer me. I need to know this information so that I can decide on moving back to GA or transferring the probation to NC.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 06:39 PM
    First no criminal activity is ridculous, and the sooner you start admitting your mistake the sooner you and a PO officer will get along a lot better.

It is very simple if GA says you can have unsupervised, then if they allow a transfer it will be unsupervised, if GA says you have to report every week, when you get to NC you will have to report every week, If NC accepts the probation transfer, they accept the terms of that probation transfer.

What happens is that after your first meeting with the PO you will request a transfer of your probation from GA to NC, both NC and GA has to agree to it. They may not, There is no requriement they have to accept it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

North Carolina Non-Resident Vs Part-time resident [ 2 Answers ]

We purchased a second home in North Carolina in July. I stayed a week in NC and went back to my main home in Florida. In September I put our condo in Florida for sale. At the end of September I got a job in NC. I quite my job in Florida and start working in NC end of September. Our condo sold...

Freeze line in north Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

How deep most I burry my water loine

North Carolina prepaid group insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Does North Carolina have prepaid group insurance?

Vent/Stack Question from North Carolina [ 1 Answers ]

HELP!! I am new to this so please bear with me: I am building a new house by myself... i.e. no contractors due to cost... I have three levels of bathrooms... all stacked above each other... the way I read the code I can install one stack/vent and if I stay within the "critical distance" I can...

View more questions Search