Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mojako93 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2015, 08:02 PM
    I hate my youngest sister so much! Any advice please
    Im a girl 21 years old, Ive got a 13 years old brother and we get along because he never talks back to me respect me as an older sister and most of the time he only plays ps3 or he's in his room. Ive got a youngest sister and she's only 7 years old. I hate her so much I grew up taking all the blame from my parents whenever I try not to tolerate my sister's behaviour. My parent spoiled her so much as for them she's still the baby, but the wrong thing is my sister does not respect me nor she always talk back to me and makes annoying faces then I go and tell her it's bad sometimes I lose my cool and I ended up yelling at her to just stop doing it to me then my parents will go mad at me in front of my younger sister so then my younger sister knew that they're defending her so it giver her more reason to annoy me. What I hate most is that my parents doesn't tell my sister to stop acting like that, they always says that I just have to ignore her cause I'm older.

I do ignore her sometimes but sometimes when I'm tired from work or I just woke up my younger sister goes to me and starts to piss me off whenever my parents are around! Until it annoys me so much that my parents will go mad at me again when I tell them to stop defending her in front of me they will tell me that I'm just jealous and I have to start to be mature so then my sister has the power again to annoys me cause she can see that me and my parents are arguing.

But when my parents are not around my sister acts like an angel trying to please me and she never talks back to me which is Im glad about it. But when my parents are around she's so the apposite!

I hate her so much that I'm starting to see myself better with other kids rather than her! Once my parents and I had an argument because I told my sister that she's the only kid I hate except for everyone then my parents started yelling at me then my sister started making an annoying face and started laughing cause I cried out of anger!

Sometimes I wish time goes fast so after I graduated and have enough budget I can finally move out!
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jun 6, 2015, 08:21 PM
    You're 21 and in school. Can you live on campus or split rent for an apartment off campus? Little brothers and sisters can be annoying and your little sister sounds disrespectful. Tattling on her like you're a young teen isn't the way to handle this. You're an adult, so act like one. Reread your post. You don't sound like or act like the adult you are. If you want respect from your parents, then act like a 21 year old.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 6, 2015, 09:52 PM
    The best advice would be for you to act your age, if you really are 21, and understand this is a 7 year old CHILD! She's trying to get on your nerves and it's working.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 7, 2015, 02:39 AM
    Parents change their parenting style, as they get more children, And as parents get older, their parenting style may change.

Why do you not hate your parents? It is their parenting style, you do not like.

It is not the sister doing anything, but the parents who allow behavior, they did not allow in you. You are blaming the wrong person here.

Next perhaps she feels the resentment from you. Respect does not happen because she is a sister, does not happen because you are older, it happens if you earn it.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 7, 2015, 03:57 AM
    If you 'hate' a younger sister for not being respectful, then you will have a rude awakening when you get out into the world. Do you think employers, fellow employees, landlords, strangers on the street or in stores are going to all treat you with respect? Of course not. You learn to let most of the negatives in life roll off your back. How does making a face or laughing at your annoyance hurt you? (It doesn't, but you react, and that's exactly what she wants.)

Roll your eyes, sigh, and tell her to grow up. Then walk away. You are acting immature for 21. Instead of this, work on your plan to live on your own. You need a financial plan, for starters. What income can you expect, and how much will an apartment cost? Utilities, food, transportation? Share an apartment? Get to work.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2015, 04:07 AM
    You can help your sister in making better choices since your parents are not.

Ignore most of it. Offer praise when she behaves, reminders when needed (expect it often... shes 7 and learning), and consequences for both. "I really like how you are waiting patiently for me to be done". " I need to finish this work right now, when I'm done, I will read with you, play a game, etc." "You have a choice, if you continue to bother me while I am working, I won't be able to play with you later on. If you play on your own until I finish, I will be able to."

If she continues to bother you, try not to yell or scream, simply do not play with her later and explain why and that you are sure she will make a better choice next time.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 7, 2015, 04:52 AM
    You are 21, and whether you are tired, or just waking up, you still have to stay in control of yourself, and not be outsmarted by a 7 year old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sister-Brother conflict advice please [ 8 Answers ]

I have never got on that well with my sister, but we are family and have spent time together sporadically over the years, we are both in our early 40s now. I was visiting my sister, she has 2 extremely friendly dogs that always want to lick me to death, get patted and played with. Our mother was...

Need advice regarding taking in sister's unwanted baby [ 3 Answers ]

Just found out on the 7th of Feb. My sister gave birth to a baby on Nov. 6, 2011. She left the baby at the hospital and never returned. The child is in DHS custody they are the ones whom contacted my older sister on Feb.3rd and informed us of the child. I have spoken to DHS and they said they...

Advice on helping my sister get over an addiction [ 0 Answers ]

Recently my sister has been acting strange. It has been like this for a month or so. She has two kids, one is 7 and the other is 5. Today, my sister went outside and came back in saying with excitement that she has pills. I told her she didn't need that and joked with her. About 10 or 20 minutes...

Hate my sister [ 1 Answers ]

I have mother who worries a lot about the place we live because the crime level pretty high.I go out on new year I tell her that I'll go to a café But ı wasn't going to go there. I was going to a bar/nightclub.I lie to her about that.She let me go and I felt so sorry the other day when ı come...

View more questions Search