Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sean999 Posts: 117, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2015, 06:38 AM
    Bruce Lee's empty mind
    Bruce lee told about empty mind. Moreover, he also emphasizes shapeless, formless and water concepts. In his meaning, does he mean

(A) Empty mind is empty your mind and ready to make greatest punch that you practiced.

Or

(B) Empty mind is empty and relax your mind and be ready to every situation.(for example, you learned wrestling but if you have to kick, you just kick although you don't have enough kicking knowledge)

Or

(C) Something concern with empty mind theory in Zen Buddhism?

Please first choose answer form A,B,C, and then please tell me about your thinking. And there is any other left, tell me. I ask this question from martial art side but my purpose is to get understanding for my life. And I also believed that Bruce Lee told those not only for martial art training but also for life.

Thank you
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2015, 08:48 AM
    From my understanding, it is not any of the three. (unless there is more to the Buddhist teaching, I not aware.

That only with an empty mind, can you truly learn. If you have preconceived ideas. I will warp the new teachings.

If you believe another way. You can not fully grasp, the new.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 6, 2015, 09:13 AM
    I agree -- none of those. This site might help --

A Simple Guide to Empty Your Mind

Also from http://zenhabits.net/mind-like-water/--

"It reminds me of a quote from Bruce Lee:
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    I think the appeal is the calmness and peace that you are trying to achieve. Have everything in its place, and empty your mind of busy-ness and junk. Then you are ready for anything that comes your way."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2015, 06:58 PM
    Lee Jun-fan or Bruce Lee studied under the famous Yip Kia-man of China. But Bruce style went past that, and part of his over all idea, was that, to achieve the best style, you had no real style. That if you truly followed a style, you can be beaten, by someone who will learn that style, and then learn to expect your moves.

Also, when tied to the Buddhist teachings, all emotion, all lusts and desires are harmful and we must try to reach a level of enlightenment, where we empty our hearts and minds of such feelings.

Tied into that, the only way to achieve greatness was to release those feelings from your body and mind.

At that point, there is no need to fight, so, if you can walk away, you walk away, there is no desire to prove oneself. In your mind, you have already won.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marial arts movie with Bruce lee or look a like that is fighting a samurai warrior. [ 0 Answers ]

Bruce has to spit needles into samuarai eyes to defeat him. Lee chooses not finish off the samurai and he tells the defeated samurai that the "Chinese are not animals, but men" and the samurai takes his own life.

Bruce Lee philosophy and training question? [ 1 Answers ]

Firstly I'd like to know what was the driving factor that led to his success. How did he attain such high levels of self motivation? And if you have any information on his day to day routine, that'd be great. I'm really a fan and just am curious about this type of stuff. Good day.

Empty state of mind. [ 10 Answers ]

I got a problem I don't know what it is and I woulden't doubt if you can help me either. It all started when I was a Junior in high school (im a senior now). I moved from a Christian high school (im agnostic not christian BTW). I was content there I got along with people and I liked the...

Bruce Lee [ 2 Answers ]

Was Bruce Lee ever beaten?

View more questions Search