Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CrazyDaisyLou Posts: 194, Reputation: 7

Apr 10, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Old Cabinet
    Hi. A couple of years ago I was given an old cabinet from my uncle. I know it was passed down from at least my great-grandmother. My mom was born in 1949 and my uncle's even earlier, so I'm guessing it was made in the early 1900's. I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me any information about it if they recognize it somehow or tell me how to start searching for information. It has no markings on it to tell where it came from or who made it. It has three of it's original wheels, which are made of wood. There is also a hook on the inside on the bottom that hooks to the bottom of the left door to keep the door shut. There is a small chip in the right door. Sorry about the cat underneath. He wouldn't leave me take my pictures in peace. LOL :D

Thanks

Daisy
    Attached Images

Apr 10, 2007, 06:28 PM
    I also have this game called Peanut Butter and Jelly Game from Parker Brothers. I found it when I moved into my house. I was wondering if anyone would know if it is worth anything. The copyright is 1971. This is the first time I heard of this game.

Thanks

Daisy
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 06:34 PM
    The following site has some possible prices for the game.

1971 Peanut Butter & Jelly game Parker Brothers
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 06:38 PM
    The cabinet looks to be made of oak from what I can see in the pictures. Have you looked underneath it for a number or name?
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Also, wooden wheels might place it as old as in the 1800's.
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 06:41 PM
    Something like this, might have had a mirror on the back. Is there any evidence of holes near the back of the top?

Apr 10, 2007, 07:11 PM
    There are two holes on each side in the back at the top. I double checked it for a name or number, because I did check the bottom before. The only thing I found looked like it was written in pencil. It looked like either 12 or IV, something like that. It was on both of the doors, on the side where the hinges are screwed in. Otherwise it has no markings on it at all.

Thanks for replying.

Daisy
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 10, 2007, 07:18 PM
    Do the drawer dovetails look machine or hand made -- [ machine they will be all exactly the same]

Did you check the drawer backs /sides /bottoms for markings?
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 07:21 PM
    Then it probably did have a mirror.

I would do a Google Web search and Image search for the following: antique oak dresser three drawers mirror two doors wooden castors.

Apr 11, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Savage- I asked my parents- seperately- and they both said the dovetails look hand-made. I can't really tell too well myself. There are things about it that made me think it was hand-made, but I wanted to make sure before I said anything.

Clough- Thank you, I am looking. Apparently there are a lot of antiques with three drawers and two doors.

Daisy
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Thanks for your message. That sounds great! I'm glad that things worked out for you!

Apr 14, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Does anyone know of a page that gives instructions on restoring antiques like this? I am interested in doing it, I just don't know how. I need detailed directions. I'm usually pretty good doing something by myself the second time around, but I'm afraid I'll ruin the something the first time around unless I have someone showing me or I have VERY detailed instructions. Is it even possible to fix the chip in the door?

Thanks
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2007, 02:13 AM
    It doesn't look to be in very bad shape by the pictures that you have posted. One of the things that I do for a living is that I refinish furniture. Have been doing it for many years.

When a piece of furniture is not in very bad shape, what I usually do is what I call rejuvenating the finish. That would be to sand it very lightly by hand, in the same direction of the grain of the wood with a 180 or 220 grit abrasive paper, vacuum with a brush attachment, wipe down with a damp paper towel, let dry, apply a similar colored oil or lacquer stain with folded paper towels if I think that it would be necessary to hide some imperfections, let dry for 24 to 48 hours, and then apply something like Deft Clear Gloss or Semi-Gloss lacquer, which is available in most hardware or paint stores. I would put at least a couple of coats on - sanding very lightly with a 240 grit abrasive paper before the second coat.

Rub it all out with 0000 steel wool and carnuba wax that you get from a paint store. Steel wool that you get from places like Menards or Lowe's is questionable. Might have been made by grinding down car engines in order to make the steel wool. Buff-out with Bounty paper towels or soft rags after the wax has dried.

Even though Deft lacquer is not a high-solids lacquer, it, combined with the carnuba wax will provide a very protective finish.

It does not look like, from the images that you have submitted, that this piece really needs to be completely refinished.
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2007, 02:29 AM
    Concerning the chip in the door. It is unclear as to how deep into the finish the chip-out is. If it is really deep, then I would put a wood putty that is very hard into the crevice first. Sand it level to accommodate a veneer. Then get some oak veneer that you would glue or iron in.

If it is not a very deep scar, than a touch-up with a lacquer-based stain with a fine small brush should do. If a touch-up pen is used, any finish applied to them does not tend to adhere.

Further explanation of any of the procedures mentioned would require a talk on the telephone. Touch-up of furniture is an art. There are many variables.

If interested look for Clough Quad Cities in a Google search. My ads for my businesses will be all over the first three or four pages. I am glad to hand out advice for free over the telephone.
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2007, 02:30 AM
    Oh, and your handles and other hardware that appear to be real brass - I have some thoughts on them too.

Apr 17, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Give me a few weeks to call, I am a little busy at this point in time. The chip is not that deep-only about an eighth of an inch deep, if that.

Thank you so much.
    SLGASKME Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 10:25 PM
    Hi, I'm writing from a note you posted over a year ago that came up on a Google search! I have a 6-year old daughter and I want to get her the 1971 Parker brother's game. I used to have it in childhood and it's how I learned my initial fractions of 1/4 and 1/2. I wanted to know if you ever sold it, or if you still have it. If you have it, are you interested in selling it? Let me know. Thanks.

Jan 29, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Oh--and I meant to reference the game name in case you even forgot you mentioned it! It's the 1971 Parker Bros Peanut Butter and Jelly game. There's a newer one from 1983, but it's not the same, nor is the new one by fundex w/ a fly card in it! Not sure if it's nostalgia, but I like the first one the best. Thanks.

Jan 30, 2008, 03:05 AM
    I do have it yet, but I'm not interested in selling it. If I ever change my mind, I will get in contact with you about it. Sorry

Feb 1, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Ok, Thanks. Definitely do keep me in mind, though! I would love to get it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plastic cabinet,parts [ 1 Answers ]

I have very old cabinets that were made in the 60's I think. They are in relativily good shape but the drawer slides are plastic pins mounted on the frame.I need info if I can source some of these or can I make some? I did try making some from wood but would like the real thing.thanks in advance

Fixing Bathroom Cabinet [ 3 Answers ]

We have the task of fixing a bathroom cabinet weighing 16lbs to a tiled, plasterboard bathroom wall. The cabinet is supported at the four corners using metal slotted holes inset into the back of the cabinet. The screw heads pass into the holes and then the cabinet is lowered a short way so That...

Cabinet hinge locator [ 1 Answers ]

I have this picture of 1/2 of a hinge that I have and would like to locate. The upper half is just like a hinge I need and the bottom half of the hinge I need is the same, not like the picture. The hinge I need has the disks that insert into dadoes in the frame and the door. If this is...

View more questions Search