Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hunnybee_420 Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2015, 09:00 AM
    Blue cross vs united...
    Ok so I've been paying out of pocket for about a year for blue cross blue shield of and but now my job is offering united for like 1/3 what I've been paying but I don't know which is the better choice and could really use some insight. Im in no position to be messing around with this as I am soon planning on getting pregnant... I'm dealing with some stress this week and the weight of this decision is weighing heavy. I hear bcbs is better and is it worth the extra money every month given the changes coming in the hopefully near future... id hate to change and regret it when it's too late. I don't know what to do. Please help
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 4, 2015, 09:13 AM
    We can't possibly answer this. Each state is different and each plan has different options. Often times, parts of each state have different coverages and costs. I'm in CT, and there are different plans within each plan, for different areas of the state!
    When I was choosing, I spent an hour or two a day for about 2 weeks trying to sort it all out and decide. Make lists.
    The state had sent me a booklet with comparison charts. You are going to have to do that.
    Each one had a 'Customer Rating' on it, and that tells you a lot. Don't go by 3 other people.

If you are under too much stress to deal with this, then don't get pregnant - simple as that!

1/3 the cost would be tempting to me. I'd take the chance and ask what options are for dropping it in a year, and going back to bcbs.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 4, 2015, 09:14 AM
    You do understand we know nothing about what each offers or costs. If they both operated in different states it would likely be different as well as likely being different from another employer that offered both even in the same state.

1/3 the cost....you don't get something for nothing so there WILL be significant tradeoffs for the lower price....likely lower coverage and higher annual deductibles that means more money out of pocket every time you see a doctor.
    Hunnybee_420 Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2015, 09:49 AM
    I see what you're saying I meant 1/3 of what I'm currently paying because work would cover some. And actually I am pregnant but something is wrong and it's not going to work this time around and I was anxious to try again. Now this on my plate. Thanks anyway though...

I see what you're saying I meant 1/3 of what I'm currently paying because work would cover some. And actually I am pregnant but something is wrong and it's not going to work this time around and I was anxious to try again. Now this on my plate. Thanks anyway though...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 4, 2015, 10:19 AM
    Employer based health insurance (Group insurance) is always cheaper than private insurance since the company bears some of the cost for the premiums. It's a benefit companies give instead of paying YOU cash. You still pay 20% of incurred expenses when you use it.

Regional and local prices are pretty close between the big insurance companies, and every state has its own regulations. Of course as your family grows, so do your premium costs and deductibles.

The real question is does your employer offer you compensation for NOT signing up for his insurance, and buying your own? If not the choice is rather an easy one.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 4, 2015, 03:51 PM
    If something is wrong with this pregnancy, you shouldn't try again right away. Didn't any doctor talk to you about this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 4, 2015, 06:11 PM
    This is the issue, BC has about 10 plans in most states and each plan varies by state.
    United has many plans there is not just one plan.

Work plans are often tailored to what the company asked for, and/or company insurance, has often been better than private insurance.

Also normally your company has to pay part of the cost of insurance, so it is not that "cheap" your share of the payment is less.

You take the benefits of each plan, and place them side by side, and do a comarison

No, BC is not that much better than United, in fact I would almost never use BC personally because of issues I have had. I am a licensed agent in Georgia and would prefer United over BC any day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dyed my hair blue black anything I can use to keep blue highlights to last longer [ 0 Answers ]

I dyed my hair blue black using miss clairol permanent hair color. The blue was very noticeable for approx. two weeks now its just black what is the BEST blue black hair dye or is there something I can do to help maintain blue in it

Blue tablet put in tank of toilet, but no blue in the bowl [ 7 Answers ]

When a use a blue Vanish tablet in the tank of my toilet the water will not stay blue in the bowl. (No blue at all after flushing in one toilet, and only very light blue in another) I think this is because of the small tube that flows into the overflow tube goes directly into the bowl as clean, not...

Does blue cross cover Chiropractic treatments [ 5 Answers ]

Does blue cross cover chiropractig treatments

Blue cross health insurance [ 4 Answers ]

I currently have health insurance through Sask. Blue Cross. The business where my wife works has just offered a health plan that covers employees and their spouses through Cooperators Insurance.This insurance covers everything that Blue Cross covers, i.e. dental, vision, etc. If I decide to quit...

View more questions Search