Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mickster4 Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

May 31, 2015, 07:33 PM
    At Work if I counted up the Till wrong will I get fired
    Just had a quick question I work in Retail and work the register at a shoe store. Tonight I found an extra hundred dollars that I didn't add to my deposit. Can I just tell my boss that I was $100 bucks over and get fired, or just tell my boss I found 2 $50 Bills just laying around? In a Pickle, Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 31, 2015, 07:37 PM
    How about just telling the truth?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 1, 2015, 03:13 AM
    I have a feeling that you kept 100 because you added wrong and thought it was overage that was free money, and then added again and realized you were wrong?
    Whatever you say is going to be suspect.
    If I'm wrong, please explain exactly what happened, and maybe we can help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2015, 06:59 AM
    You tell the truth, if you tried to steal the 100 dollars, most likely you will get fired.
    If your drawer is 100 dollars short, most likely you will get fired.

But, the truth is always best.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Jun 1, 2015, 07:11 AM
    On top of that most places have cameras focused on the tills and where the tills will be counted. This is a security measure to prevent cashiers from doing dodgy things. So... Talk to your manager. It is better to deal with this with integrity then see how it comes out of the wash.

To remember in the future, regardless of what happens:
    1). If the float doesn't line up with what you should have, count again.
    2). If anything goes sideways, Severely over or under, go to your manager. The worst that will happen I that you'll get written up.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 1, 2015, 08:42 AM
    The question of whether you will be fired or not has not been answered, nor can it be. When I worked as a cashier at a new store, we were hit with a quick change artist. If you aren't familiar with what they are, they fast talk you into breaking larger bills for them. I was one of those hit and my register was short that day. I was not fired because the bosses understood I was new to cashiering so it was more a problem of their training.

But we can't tell you what your boss will do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help now I only have 1 hour let till I have to be at work and have to have my w- [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a dad and my baby's mom lives with me how many do I put on my w4 form so I can still get a good paycheack but make out wit a really good tex refund

Fired for getting sick at work. [ 4 Answers ]

Today I just started working for a hospital in the Food Sevrices Dept. I felt fine when I walked in the door but after delivering meals to patient rooms and sorting dishes, I started to feel very nauseous. The combination of going up and down, and the heat/steam from the dishwasher made me get...

Fired from work [ 6 Answers ]

Just wanted some advice, basically I was fired from work yesterday due to gross misconduct the reason beingI never went into work last Saturday as was feeling unwell, I asked a friend to ring in for me. I spent the day in bed and started to feel better in the evening so I went on a night out with...

Got fired and no one will hire me till I do 1 yr or 6 mnths with another company. [ 2 Answers ]

I was one of the top 10 drivers at my job at schneider my awesome boss transferred to another account,then I got a new boss he liked me at first,I was doing special assignments for him but when I backed down from training a new hire to go on the road with as a team,and told him to speak to me like...

View more questions Search