Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alberti Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2015, 12:58 PM
    Bathroom ceiling leak
    What is the problem when my bathroom ceiling leaks only when the shower is on? It does not leak if the tub water runs.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 31, 2015, 01:50 PM
    It is possible that you have a joint that has gone bad and is spraying water above you if your in a single story situation. Your pipes should come from under the floor. But the pipe to the spray nozzle goes up higher.

You may have to open the wall somewhere to find out.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2015, 07:08 AM
    If you have a shower head on a hose, hang it down in tub and turn it on. If you get a leak in ceiling then there is a break in pipe feeding shower.

If not then there is a leak in the caulking and/or grout for the ceramic tile.

If a break in pipe you will have to open wall to repair.

If not check corners to see if grout is cracked. Also check where tub and wall come together. Clean out old grout and redo with tub seal.

Chuck
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 1, 2015, 01:57 PM
    Purchase a 1/2" PVC pipe cap. Remove shower head, screw on pipe cap. Turn on shower. If you get water in the ceiling below you have a leaking joint where the shower arm screw into the drop ell.

To correct, unscrew shower arm, coat threads with generous amount of pipe thread sealer. To avoid scaring up the shower arm use either a strap wrench or stick a long screwdriver up the shower arm. While holding the shower arm at the wall with one hand, rotate the screwdriver in a circular fashion. A 10" extension from a 3/8 drive socket set works great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in ceiling bathroom [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a coop apartment. My bathroom has a leak in the ceiling (more towards the side, not center) that began to drip down the side of the wall. I notified the apartment above me, that is currently gut renovating their apartment (which includes bathrooms in the exact spots that I have...

Bathroom ceiling leak [ 5 Answers ]

My bathroom ceiling has a small slow dripping leak that comes and goes! I have a ceiling fan that is about two feet from the area in question. I run my fan during the showering phase and for about 15 to 20 min after a shower. I have been in my attic many times looking for leaks in the roof and...

Bathroom leak in the ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! I recently noticed that there has been a leak in the ceiling. We never looked up the living room... but the dark spot caught our attention. Its not dripping water. I don't hear any drops. But the strain looks bad. I have insurance and the house has 5 yrs warranty... so hopefully that...

Ceiling leak below bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

It appears the leak is coming from the bathroom sink and is leaking into the closet downstairs. There's a huge circle and it appears the problem has been there for a long time before I bought the condo. I've noticed that at times when the water is running in the sink, I can hear drops onto a hard...

Leak From Bathroom Ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

Just upgraded my water well which required that we run chlorine through the pipes for disinfection. Same week, ceiling started leaking around fan vent. Leak mysteriously stopped for several days and has now started again, same place. When we turn the water off at the pump, the leak continues. We...

View more questions Search