Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lightbulb123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2015, 07:21 PM
    Can you critique this very short essay?
    This is just a part of my opinion essay based on my personal experience in the Philippines. The essay discusses the problems of the country that must be addressed before promoting tourism. Does it sound sloppy? How about the flow of the sentences and the grammar? Thank you!

The Philippines’ Department of Tourism has taken great strides in promoting the country's tourist spots. Perhaps its promotional slogan “It’s more fun in the Philippines” is its most successful campaign in recent years. What’s unique about it is that it was meant to caption the photos of tourists traveling in the country’s most exotic destinations. Hence, it’s not going to be a prosaic line in a television advertisement that the public would soon get tired of seeing.

However, far from being successful are the efforts to eradicate poverty and improve the infrastructure and transport systems. These problems plague almost every place in the Philippines, especially Manila, its capital. Having been left unattended for decades, these social ills have stemmed to more serious setbacks today such as pollution and illiteracy. These problems are hardly concealable, especially when the national airport is just a walk away from the nearest slum area. It’s appalling that the government seems to concentrate more on promoting tourism than on addressing even the simplest infrastructural problems of its capital city.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 30, 2015, 07:39 PM
    The slogan is an appositive and needs commas around it. Otherwise, so far, so good.
    lightbulb123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2015, 11:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    The slogan is an appositive and needs commas around it. Otherwise, so far, so good.
    How about "stemmed to"? By stemmed to, I mean "resulted in". Is it grammatical?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 31, 2015, 08:32 AM
    I find the first sentence of the third paragraph awkward. I thought 'far from being successful' was referring to the promotion on first read. I would switch places in the sentence so that the ills are first.
    And I have never heard 'stemmed' being used that way, so I would change it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2015, 09:24 AM
    Why not write "resulted in"?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to write an essay for short story [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I'm a student ,soon I'll have an exam in literature fiction.I wanted to know how to write an analyse of a short story

Can anyone help me edit a short essay? [ 20 Answers ]

I'm having a lot of trouble with the introduction and conclusion, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a high school student... send me your email?

Essay Critique [ 34 Answers ]

Hi! I am having a hard time with a professor because he does not like my overly complicated writing style. Could someone in the know about these things please read my essay and tell my how you would make it simpler? Thanks so much The Rest Cure: The Prescription of Conscription to Conformity ...

Can someone critique on my analysis essay? [ 4 Answers ]

My english teacher asked the class to write an analysis essay on Fault Lines by Meena Alexander. The assignment was to write an analysis essay on how Alexander uses language to explore and represent her fractured identity. I'll post the copy of the part he chose for us to read and I'll post my...

View more questions Search