Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

May 30, 2015, 10:56 AM
    What would you do if this happened to you?
    A friend of mine was working with troubled teens, basically as an overnight supervisor in a group home. For the most part, he didn't have too much to do, as most of the teens were sleeping most of the time, but every once in a while he'd make use of his degree in psychology to help out someone who was having issues of some sort. (These teens were basically in this shelter because of being abused at home, or getting caught with drugs and doing a small amount of jail time before being released into a society, that didn't want them, etc.)

That all ended when one of the girls bragged it up to a friend of hers that she'd had sex with him and her friend went to his boss, which resulted in my friend getting fired. Because the girl was under 18 and the group home is officially responsible for her well being, the group home is pursuing a court case, but so far, the trial has been rescheduled twice. My friend has been able to find work away from the field he went to college for, but at minimum wage, he's not able to contribute as much to his family's income and the family is struggling to keep up with their bills.

So far, if I understand things right, this is what they have against him:

1) A used condom, recovered from the girl's trash can, but the DA claims that the ejaculate was too old to yield anything, not even DNA. (I find this suspicious, as it was my understanding that there should have been usable DNA on the condom, hers on the outside and his on the inside, even if the fluids were long dried up.)

2) The bedsheets from the girl's room, which didn't even show that the sex happened there.

3) The testimony from the girl's friend, who basically has disappeared while the "participants" are awaiting the trial. (In other words, they only have whatever she said to my friend's boss, as she reportedly never even stuck around to give a sworn statement to the police.)

Basically, my friend hired a lawyer, gave up his DNA, has been unable to be alone with his teenaged stepdaughter, and has jumped through every hoop presented while waiting for the judge to hear the evidence and pass judgement - even though at this point, it's his word against hers only. I was totally peeved when, faced with a second rescheduling, his lawyer told him he should "make a plea arrangement" without telling my friend that, in our state, that would make him a sex offender, which is a felony. He wouldn't ever be able to own guns or have any inside his home. He wouldn't ever be allowed to be alone with his two stepchildren or his own toddler daughter. He would never be able to get a license in psychology, so he could never again work in the field that he spent 5 years in college to get a BA in.

My friend took the advice my husband and I gave him, so the trial is moved off to August at this point, but seriously, what would you do in this circumstance? Would you just plea out to get the whole mess over with and let the girl think she had successfully ruined this man's life, like his lawyer is telling him he should do, or would you continue to push for the trial?

Of course, MY advice to him was to force the trial, and, if this girl loses the case, go after her for defamation of character for basically ruining his life for the past 2 years so that she'll NEVER try this on anyone else, as this kind of thing may well be part of why she was thrown out of her own house. He says that he'd feel bad about such a thing, as she was already mentally unstable to begin with...

Thoughts?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 30, 2015, 11:49 AM
    NO plea deal on that... For the reasons you mentioned,... They have to prove he did it... and if that "evidence" proves to not have his DNA but someone else's... the case all but falls apart. If I was him... I'd get a different lawyer if they were actually trying to convince him to take it. Though, if the DA presented the Plea deal to his lawyer... his Lawyer would have had to present it to him... so its all in HOW that was presented...

I would also go after defamation... AFTER they legally become an adult. All depends on their age if it would be tried as a juvenile or an adult. It would be buried when they turn 18 if it happened as a juvenile, and have little if any consequences on them. But put them through some of the hell and expense of what they put him through. He needs to grow a spine... but him answering that way almost insinuates the possibility something actually might have happened between them.

And remember....he's got a trial coming....anything he says if it got around..could come back to be used against him....he really shouldn't be talking to you or anyone but his lawyer.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 30, 2015, 12:22 PM
    No plea! It may take a while to get his name cleared, but that's a battle worth fighting for. He just has to persevere no matter what they throw at him.

To be clear, an attorney is supposed to advise his clients of ALL his options, distasteful or not. That's his right to know and make a decision about.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 30, 2015, 01:13 PM
    Are you trying to write another novel !
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 30, 2015, 03:07 PM
    Was your friend alone in supervising females overnight in the group home?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2015, 09:57 PM
    A. A male would almost never be the supervise females. There would be rules.
    B. if he was . He would or should never be alone.
    C. rape allegations have ruined many people. Even if the courts find him "not guilty" some people will still believe it happened. He will still find it hard to get work.
    rainacidbeer Posts: 92, Reputation: 6

May 31, 2015, 07:24 AM
    A conviction will be even worse. Got fight and try to get the charges thrown out,he would be a felon and a sex offender.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 31, 2015, 08:09 AM
    Get rid of the public defender. Pay for one, or shop around for a pro bono one, from a clinic, school, or huge firm. Demand a speedy trial, his right. I don't see a case for the prosecution, as you describe it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 1, 2015, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    I would also go after defamation... AFTER they legally become an adult. All depends on their age if it would be tried as a juvenile or an adult. It would be buried when they turn 18 if it happened as a juvenile, and have little if any consequences on them. ...
    The accuser is a female. So by "they", I assume you mean "she".

He can sue her any time after he is acquitted; she doesn't have to be an adult. And you are confused about her being "tried as a juvenile or an adult". A defamation suit would be civil, not criminal.

But in any event, she is probably judgment-proof. So what would she really care if she was sued for defamation?

Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Assuming he is acquitted, he might very well have an action against the group home for not having two adults working there at all times. The group home's policies in this regard have significantly contributed to his predicament. And, by the way, the sex of the minors in the group home is immaterial. An accusation by a minor male would be as devastating (if not more).
    tiggerella Posts: 184, Reputation: 13

Jun 16, 2015, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    My understanding is that there are both sexes in the group home and that the supervisors take turns on the overnights. I'm not sure if the supervisors were working alone, though. Nice question to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Are you trying to write another novel !
    Not at this point... but the situation would make a good crime novel, now that you mention it...

*smile*

Thank you for all the answers on this. You've given me a bit more to think about - and I will keep pushing him to not settle.

Blessed be, one and all!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2015, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerella View Post
    1) A used condom, recovered from the girl's trash can, but the DA claims that the ejaculate was too old to yield anything, not even DNA. (I find this suspicious, as it was my understanding that there should have been usable DNA on the condom, hers on the outside and his on the inside, even if the fluids were long dried up.)
    Hello t:

A good lawyer would have the condom independently tested. If they can get DNA from dinosaurs, they can get DNA from an old condom... I don't trust DA's.. NOT even a little bit. They LIE through their teeth.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happened [ 4 Answers ]

Last year was my sophomore year and there was a guy in my class who would try and touch me. At first I thought he was just a guy playing around till he tried so hard to put his hand down my pants that he made me fall of my chair. Everyone thought he was playing around, so I joked with it. This is...

What happened? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello to all. I am currently 15, almost 16, and I am not so happy with my current relationship status. I am single, but I like a few guys. I know that "you don't need a guy to be happy" and "you're too young to be worried about having a boyfriend," but I think my life would be a little more fun and...

What has just happened. [ 2 Answers ]

I have always been insecure with my boyfriend and I have never trusted him.. I am always arguing with him over silly things.. and getting on his nerves..!. I had a dream lastnight that I seen a picture of another girl on his mobile and stuff.. then he told me to get my stuff and leave his house.....

What EXACTLY happened [ 7 Answers ]

03/08/2002 $1=1.1414135407 Euro 03/08/2008 $1= .64864 Euro It's 176% devaluating for six years:confused: :confused: :confused:

Nothing has still no happened ! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone I am 23 years old and me and my partner are trying to conceive I had the implant put in my arm in November 2006 and had it removed in may 2007 and I have had no luck in getting pregnant each month. Can anyone tell me how long it will take to get pregnant after having implant removed...

View more questions Search