Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    backhoe13 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2015, 07:10 AM
    Consider the following situation:
    Is it fair to all applicants if you were admitted to a prestigious law school partly because the dean endorsed you? Would you pursue your studies in this school?

Consider this:
    Let's say you came from a good law school and have good grades. But for some reason, you decided to transfer to an even better school. To be admitted, you need high grades and entrance exam scores . Fortunately, your only problem is how to ace the entrance exam.

Since this school has a very low acceptance rate, you asked the dean (who is somehow connected to you) to consider your application should you pass the entrance exam. If you were admitted to that school, is it advisable to study there even when you were just endorsed by the dean? Is this fair to other students? Would you take the opportunity?

BTW: I'm not from the U.S. In my country, every law school prepares and administers its own aptitude exam.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 29, 2015, 08:17 AM
    It would, or should, be a conflict of interest.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 29, 2015, 09:07 AM
    Its done all the time here in the US and is called a legacy policy and doesn't matter much about test scores being better than someone else's.

Legacy preferences - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see knowing the dean as a similar situation and see no conflict of interest as long as you pass the test. Is it fair? Probably NOT, so let your conscious be your guide for going down such a path.

Plenty of smart kids who CAN pass a test but cannot afford tuition and have to go where they can afford. Is that fair?

Life ain't fair on many levels, and you decide how you navigate the unfairness.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2015, 09:14 AM
    That is how many students get into the better schools, It is because the dean or someone in the appointment committee has ties to a family member.

This is how people get most of the better jobs, and how many government appointments are made.

Sorry, this is just life and how real life words. You get into the better school anyway you can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do you think of this situation? [ 9 Answers ]

I've had this friend for about 6 years we have always had chemistry and lust behind our relationship so it's never been just a normal friendship. I just broke up with my boyfriend of 4 years after having started a physical affair with this friend of mine who was also supposed to be a friend of my...

What should I do about getting over her in this situation? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 17 years old and I just broke up with this amazing girl... its been a month and I miss her real bad... but she's going out with another guy... he happens to be my enemy(from childhood)... seeing her everyday drives me crazy... I've started drinking and also smoking and have completely lost...

A situation! [ 15 Answers ]

Well I could do with some advice here if possible, Ive been dating a girl for a month or so. So far its been awsome we both look forward to seeing one another, chat on the phone etc. The last date went went on was great until the end of the evening when she started to tell me about her ex...

Got A Situation! [ 3 Answers ]

My cousin Roki,is really smart. He is supposed to be in the 6th grade but is transferring to 9th,and into my school! I act like I like him,but I don't! What can I do?:mad:

Serious situation [ 7 Answers ]

I don't like to admitt but I'm a little bit on the smaller side, is there anything out there that can help me?

View more questions Search