Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LoveStoned Posts: 150, Reputation: 10

May 28, 2015, 07:45 PM
    Am I unhappy because I didn't finish school or do I have a problem?
    Hey everyone. I find myself really resenting my boyfriend for wanting me to move up at work and for not really supporting me going back to school.

I am in my early thirties and he says I need to stop changing my mind on everything. I do admit that I have changed my major a couple of times and took a break for a year. But now I feel as though I will never finish school if I continue to pause it for work so I start getting down and depressed.

We both can use some extra money, we are also planning a wedding for next April, and it is going to cost money to go back to school. What do you guys think I should do. I have no children of my own and I only have a year left until I get my BA in Education!!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 28, 2015, 09:40 PM
    How long have you been with this boyfriend? Do you live together? Why did you take a year off? Did he support you being in school before? What will you do with this degree? Does he have kids that live with him?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2015, 12:49 AM
    Agree, why can you not work and go back to school?
    I just went back (over age 50) and got a new BS degree and now at 59, will finish my new Masters Degree.

I worked full time, went to school, was single father, (then newly married) life goes on and we plan and schedule around it.

It sounds like you are not committed to anything. Taking a year off, unless needed is a sign. Most people who take time off, never go back.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 29, 2015, 04:03 AM
    An important question to ask yourself, is whether you could support yourself through your current job, or if you would be able to advance in it enough to do so. A woman should always be able to support herself whether married or not.

If you finished your BA in education, would you work in that field? Do you want to teach? Would it be of use to you? Would it help you advance at your current job if you decided to stay? That is something else to consider. It is nice to have the sense of accomplishment, but it would not be a wise use of money, or going into debt with student loans, if you didn't have any plans of utilizing it later.

If it will help you, then as was said, consider working at your job and finishing school. You could take enough credits each semester to obtain a student loan, or you could take fewer classes and pay for them yourself (better option if you can swing it). Depending on where you work, some companies offer tuition reimbursement so that may be an option to look into. Sure, by taking fewer classes, it will take you longer than a year, and you'll be few years older by the time you finish, but you'll be that age anyway, so why not get there with a degree as well?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 29, 2015, 05:08 AM
    I find myself really resenting my boyfriend for wanting me to move up at work and for not really supporting me going back to school.
    What kind of support do you mean? Why can't you do BOTH? Most of us here did. Most people in life do, but is it realistic expect your soon to be husband to support both of you financially while you go to school fulltime for a year? Then pay for this upcoming wedding in a year, while you graduate, and find a new job? Help me understand this resentment which is anger fueled by FEAR of not getting what you want.

You just need a reasonable plan, with reasonable goals, with a reasonable time table, and balance it with a reasonable financial plan that allows you to get success. Consider that maybe this resentment is misdirected at your boyfriend instead of the way events have played out, much of which from choices you made, and not him.

I am in my early thirties and he says I need to stop changing my mind on everything. I do admit that I have changed my major a couple of times and took a break for a year.
    Accept the part you played in the way things are, and be grateful he has supported you through this so far, and probably will if your plan and the way you execute that plan is reasonable, and efficient. Stop focusing on obstacles and keep your eyes on the GOAL.

Often finishing one's education helps one move further in the company they already work for.

But now I feel as though I will never finish school if I continue to pause it for work so I start getting down and depressed.
    Those darn feelings again, distracting your vision, and sapping your strength. Self inflicted obstacles you must solve to get to your goals. You are almost there so why be depressed?

Nobody's journey through life is smooth and fun and stress free. Don't quit on yourself, just figure out the proper adjustments to make to finish what you started. You can do this, piece of cake, if you stay cool, calm, collected, and in control of yourself, and not get carried away by your own feelings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I still finish nursing school [ 3 Answers ]

I recently got a criminal background check back and it had several assault on female charges. They all date back more than 10 yrs ago, since I have changed my life around and started school I applied for nursing program in N.C. can I get in? Oh yeah I am a black male.

When do you know the time to finish your unhappy relationship? [ 6 Answers ]

I have been with my partner for 5 years, since we were 15. I am now 20 with 2 children. All we do is argue and I don't actually think we like each other very much. We recently got back together after 5 months and he found a new girlfriend. I don't think I can deal with this so I constantly cause...

Lease will finish next month but I didn't find place to move in yet [ 2 Answers ]

We live in this one bed apartment for almost 2 years, I want to move to 2 bed apts because we are now 4 people, But I didn't find the right place yet, Do I have the right to stay until I find the place or What?

Need finanical help to finish school [ 2 Answers ]

I am a returning student and have serious debt... I owe a student loan not a large amount less than 3000.00 and I need to finish school... having a hard time finding work... age is problem and education... need to know how to get a loan that will consolidate the past student loan and add at much as...

View more questions Search