Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calineczka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2015, 09:49 PM
    Green card expired
    Hello, My green card expired about 7 years ago. I'm about to file a renewal form and I'm aware that this process can be few months long. I just find out that my mom has been diagnosed with a lung cancer. This is a very urgent matter and I will must leave US for some time to be with her ( she lives in Europe) If there is anyway to speed it up a renewal process for emergency situations like this one ? I should be able to provide a medical evaluation of her condition if necessary. What I have to do? Thank you in advance.
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

May 27, 2015, 12:04 AM
    So you've been living in the U.S. this whole time, right? Although the card expires, permanent resident status does not expire. You've been maintaining residence in the U.S. so you're still a legal permanent resident. That's fine. How long the card has been expired is not relevant. What is relevant is that you need to renew it now.

Once you file the I-90 to renew your card (which you must do while in the U.S.), you can go in for an InfoPass appointment at a USCIS office and get an I-551 stamp in your passport. Green card is I-551, and this temporary stamp is equivalent to the card in every way, allowing you to travel and work during this time. If you plan to leave for about a year or more, you should apply for a Re-entry Permit before you leave.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2015, 10:31 PM
    Is your status permanent or conditional?
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

May 28, 2015, 05:01 PM
    kcomissiong has a good point. If it was 2-year conditional permanent residency, and you didn't file for Removal of Conditions, then your permanent residency would have been lost a long time ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Expired green card [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend's green card is expired and has been for 4 years. Is it too late to get it renewed? Has not left US anytime during the 4 years

Green card expired for two years [ 2 Answers ]

My green card has been expired for two years. How can I get it renewed without being deported?

Expired 10 year green card [ 1 Answers ]

I know someone who has an expired green card. She has already applied for a new one and sent the money for it. How long does it take now to renew this card? Can she get a job with the expired green card and the letter from the government where it says that they received the money to process her...

View more questions Search