Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teppo Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2015, 03:30 PM
    Air blowing out of the HVAV inlet vent
    Winter (Midwest) especially and on windy days air blows strongly out of the Intake vent of the HVAC system when the system is not running. (no fan) With system running all runs normal. When system cycles off the cold air rushes in an chills the room.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 27, 2015, 03:18 PM
    What kind of heating system do you have?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 27, 2015, 06:27 PM
    Is this a through the wall system like a Mitsubishi? https://www.acwholesalers.com/Mitsub...FdcegQodbXQAow

Jun 1, 2015, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    What kind of heating system do you have?
    Ruud quiet 80
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 1, 2015, 09:05 PM
    I read many interesting articles on your problem and thought this one was the best,

ASK THE INSPECTOR: Furnace new, but outside-air intake useful - Winnipeg Free Press Homes

While not absolutely necessary, a properly insulated fresh-air intake duct attached to the return-air ducting for the heating system is a good idea to maintain healthy indoor air quality in your home. If you find too much cold air coming in or the return-air ducting frosting up, installation of a mechanical damper on the intake duct connected to the furnace fan control will help limit the air intake until it is needed.
    Let me know what you think, as this is a very common issue.

Jun 5, 2015, 06:39 PM
    Thanks for the info. I had that problem with a previous unit. My apologies if I have not provided accurate info. The return air vent from the house is more accurate to where the air is being reversed. It's windy out today and air is blowing into the room from the return vent with the unit off. It seems that the air is coming down the flue thru the unit and into the ducting (both return and conditioned). Is there such a thing as a damper for the flue cap or such? Thanks much.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 5, 2015, 09:30 PM
    Yes.

Air-mixing plenum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    jonwillard Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2019, 07:58 PM
    You have a leak in the return. Crawl under the house and look at the ductwork for the return. If you have ductboard the company screwed you to start with and possible rats chewed holes in it. If air blows out of the return while it's not running there's an open spot in the return. It's all sealed ductwork and the only way for that to happen is to have an open spot in the return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vent not blowing hot air from Carrier furnace 58cva/cvx [ 2 Answers ]

There are 5 vents connected to our Carrier furnace. Two of the vents does not blow hot air like the other three. I looked in the attic and found that the two vents that do not blow well have two duct/hoses connected to each. The other three that do have good heat flow only has one duct/hose...

Air not blowing out of a vent [ 3 Answers ]

One of the vents in my room is not blowing hot air, when all others in my house are working fine. No air is blowing out of this vent. What would be the cause of it?

Cold air vent blowing all the time [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a cold air return vent on the floor in my livingroom. For years we have noticed that the cold air return vent blows cold air into the house all day/night. We have had to put towels over it to keep the temperature in the house comfortable. We notice it mostly in the winter months. ...

Forced air blowing cold air out of one vent, warm out of others [ 1 Answers ]

We have a forced heating system and all of the rooms but one have warm air blowing out of the vents. Why would colder or cool air be blowing out of the vents in one room? Note that this room is much larger than the other bedrooms so I figured the force of the air might be split between two vents...

Furnace Heating : Cold air blowing from vent from one level/ Warm air in the other [ 1 Answers ]

Ours is a 2 level house (1995), both levels heated by the same furnace ( YORK Multiposition Gas-Fired Furnace MODEL P2MP 32-112 MBH OUTPUT) . We have two digital thermostats (Hunter Programmable type) located on each floor. We were out for a few days and when we came back the lower level is getting...

View more questions Search