Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michael alcorta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2015, 08:38 AM
    Fraud/ identy theft
    For several days now I've been getting lots of emails about loans being applied under my emails, even through out
    The night
    I need help finding out who exactly it is and from where and what devices. I'm pretty sure I know who it is but I want to b exactly sure of it before I report my issue to the Federal Government so o can as well as the loan companies. I really need to resolve my issue.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 25, 2015, 08:49 AM
    If you suspect identity theft you have to act on it IMMEDIATELY before it escalates and you have NOTHING left.

No one can help you personally, but the proper authorities can. Even if you suspect someone. You tell them your concerns and they work around it.

The main thing is DOING IT NOW !
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 25, 2015, 10:59 AM
    No one is going to jump on your case, feds especially. There are MILLIONS of people ahead of you. Some take years, lose everything, even go to jail because their identity was stolen. THE GOV'T DOESN'T CARE until you have done ALL THE WORK proving it. And since you suspect someone, that makes it even worse - you 'allowed' someone access to your personal information.
    So get to work.
    The thief probably can't get a loan over the net, because your signature is needed. Snail mail would have to go to your address. Forgery is easy though.
    Start with all the companies who got applications, just to notify them. They can't tell you anything though.
    Second, your local police, who in rare cases may help, but usually not.

Contact the suspect and say "The police have been asking about you taking out lots of loans in my name." It's a bluff, but see if it stops
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 25, 2015, 12:12 PM
    Are these real loans or is it the kind of "loans" that I keep getting in my mail....I often get emails telling me I am approved and I get ones that say my money is waiting and all I have to do is contact them. Are these the kinds of emails you are talking about? If so, just ignore them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2015, 09:20 PM
    First, no you will never know, who it is. And no, you do not report it to the federal government.

Also, emails, no, you also do not get emails from places about new loans. >> how would they even know your email address. A scammer is not going to give them your real email.

These emails are most likely the scam, wanting you to give them personal information, so they can then scam you.

The way to check is run credit reports and see if there is really any new activity.
    Never click links given to you by emails.

Next, if it is ID fraud, call and report it to the local police. (who will seldom do anything, but you need the police report) then notify the places in writing, (certified mail) that this is a fraud, and include copies of the police report.

Also look into freezing your credit reports, so no one can access without you personally unfreezing.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 26, 2015, 07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    The thief probably can't get a loan over the net, because your signature is needed. Snail mail would have to go to your address. ...
    Getting credit over the Internet is done all the time, and it has been for decades, as I recall.
    There is no need to have an original signature for hardly anything, and certainly not for an unsecured loan or extension of credit. A photocopy of your signature is as good as the original.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 26, 2015, 07:31 AM
    Don't even try to find out, you will never do it, This is a job for law enforcement, report it to them.

Next contact all the credit bureaus, you may have to pay for tracking or for them not to issue a report on you without a second level of identification.

You might consider using Credit Karma it's a free service that will monitor your credit reports.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2015, 08:17 AM
    Scott is right on, Credit Karma is great ( I did like it better a couple year ago) but it is still great. Just don't buy all the extras they try to sell you.

I had someone add to my credit report, this year, said it was a debt, in collection. On a debt from a couple year ago. They had a old address I not used in 14 years, and had it an active account, but I not even lived in US for over 3 years.

Sadly this is though one of the collection agenies with a reputation for doing illegal collections, one named in a recent law suit. So they are not attempting to correct.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fraud or Theft [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am hoping that someone can offer some help. I'm in the US so hopefully someone will be familiar with the law here. Ok here goes. I have a corporate purchasing card and have been using it for about 10 months for personal charges that may now total a little over $5000 (I'm not certain). It just...

Identy theft and measure 7 in state of Oregon [ 16 Answers ]

Does identity theft and or fraud fall under measure seven in the state of Oregon?

Charged with Theft under,fraud under. [ 1 Answers ]

Please help me to answer these questions... THank you very much. I was charged with theft under 5000, and Fraud under 5000 like 3 years ago. The actual amount was 2600. I turned myself in after I did it,then I was arrested, this was my first offence. I was into gambling that year, so I had...

Theft and fraud under [ 1 Answers ]

I have been charged with theft and fraud under. I have admitted my quilt. I am a first time offender. What can I expect.

View more questions Search