Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sarahrossmoberg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2015, 11:45 AM
    Rude adult child
    How do I handle a rude adult child living at home?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 24, 2015, 11:46 AM
    How ever you want to.
    What exactly are they doing ?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 24, 2015, 02:43 PM
    Most such situations are hopeless. He or she is rude partly because of shame, defeat, and frustration about letting life go by without being out on their own, earning their own living and paying their own expenses. Often the parent wants them there for all sorts of reasons - keep the parent/child role, or for help around the house, or loneliness.
    You can make a list of rules under the title This is My House, not yours. You can charge specific rent and food, and require some work. But if you don't know how to do tough love, it will be better for all of you to go cold turkey - get out in 30 days and put it in writing.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 24, 2015, 03:01 PM
    THey are an adult... if they are rude in YOUR house... and it IS YOUR house... you have them evicted. You are under NO legal obligation to give them a place to live or support them after their 18th birthday.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 24, 2015, 05:22 PM
    By not allowing it. If you give them money, stop. If you are cooking for them, stop. Get the idea. If they will not stop being rude, ask them to leave and live somewhere else.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 24, 2015, 05:37 PM
    You evict them, like any other unwanted "guest"!
    sahitya Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2015, 04:34 AM
    Do not overreact if your adult child is rude with you. Talk to your child. And tell her in a convincing manner that you are the first well wisher of your daughter.
    Questionair Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Oct 12, 2015, 07:41 AM
    I agree with everyone else, If the child is not going to listen then there is no point on wasting your breath. Give them a few days in the real world and they'll run back full of apologies.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2015, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sahitya View Post
    Do not overreact if your adult child is rude with you. Talk to your child. And tell her in a convincing manner that you are the first well wisher of your daughter.
    Sorry... I don't agree. They are adults... not a toddler incapable of understanding reason or much else yet. Adults know better. And adults pay higher price for ignorant or stupid behavior. And having to support themselves is a fantastic way to impose upon them how easy they had it... and if they have to have it their way.. they have to do it on their own, supporting themselves in their own place. Not in mommy or daddies house. While mommy and daddy support them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Rude and abusive adult child [ 7 Answers ]

I have a mid thirties child who through no fault of her own is unemployed, living at home and diligently looking for work. I have supported her for a year and a half. There are times when she "wigs out", that is she becomes very very rude to me verbally abusive. I have tried to journal these...

Rude Adult Children [ 2 Answers ]

I Have Adult Children who think the world owes them! When ever they come over to visit they rummage through the house. They act very obnoxious,& selfish. My age 50,My Daughter is 26, My son 21. & I have two small grand children. I thought about moving farther away so the visits could be less...

Angry rude adult child living at home [ 6 Answers ]

Angry rude adult child living at home how to cope

Neighbor's adult son is rude [ 5 Answers ]

We live in a friendly village, and our widowed neighbor, has an adult son, in his 50's that does not love there, lives nearby but visits everyday to take care of the lawn. We say hello, he turns away and grunts. When he is speaking with another neighbor and they call out to me to say hello, or...

View more questions Search