Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DDORNYC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2015, 01:31 PM
    Employee had injury at work, was only absent 2 days. Who pays and how?
    Hello New Friends,

An employee injured his hand and was only out for 2 days. He was authorized to come back to work by the doctor. As I understand, worker's comp is only utilized if the person is absent for more than one week. If it was a job related injury, but employee was only out a few days, does the employee have to pay his own medical bill? The Company is in NY in case the laws are different. Thank!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 22, 2015, 01:39 PM
    I don't know the specific workers compensation rule in New York, but in general the employer (or the worker's comp. carrier) has to pay the medical expenses for work-related injuries, whether or not any time is lost from work.

For further information, one can look here. I don't see an exception such as the one you describe.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 22, 2015, 01:53 PM
    Doesn't the employee have medical insurance?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 22, 2015, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Doesn't the employee have medical insurance?
    If he or she did, the medical insurance would be subrogated to the WC carrier.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 22, 2015, 02:25 PM
    WC would be primary for the injury. The employer may pay for the lost wages or salary but after 7 days LT it would probably also go the WC carrier.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 22, 2015, 06:53 PM
    It is reported, and workers comp will pay for the medical bills.
    The issue of the lost time from work, It is possible that they do not pay for lost time from work, unless it is over a week.

This is also why you call and talk to your WC company, if and when there is questions.

Also all business must have posted, a sign which explains their rights under WC, and how the worker can contact the WC company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal for a salaried employee to work 40 hour work weeks for 2 months and recei [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a bible college who have asked all their salaried employees to work for half pay for 2 months because of a budget crisis is that legal

May a full-time employee also work as a temporary employee for the same company? [ 3 Answers ]

We are a small CBRF (community based residential facility) in Wisconsin, with 12 full-time employees. In the past when a full-time employee could not work we either have a temporary/pool employee to work ($12.00 per hour). However, sometimes pool employees are unavailable. In that case we have...

I am a salaried employee and often work 12-16 14hr days in a row with no day off. [ 5 Answers ]

I am a salaried employee and often work 12-16 14hr days in a row with no day off. When I have requested a day off during the regular work week, I am told that I will have to take it unpaid or use a vacation day. This doesn't seem fair. I am beginning to burn out. Do salaried employees have no...

Under FMLA can tasks be held against you on absent days? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been on intermittent FMLA leave for appointments only and it is whenever I have a flair up I need medical attention. My actual diagnosis is not yet determined and needs multiple tests to rule out cancer, lupus, ms originally it was believed to just be blood pressure w/ memory loss however...

Son absent for more than 65 days [ 5 Answers ]

I just found out that my 14 year old that is in 9th grade has more than 65 days of absences I have to go on Monday to the school to talk to the guidance counselor. I know of some of the absences because he was out for about 2 weeks because of an illness. After that he says he just didn't go...

View more questions Search