Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 21, 2015, 02:44 PM
    Honda Clutch Interlock Switch Stop Pedal Pad
    Replacing the clutch interlock switch pedal stopper pad, on a Honda clutch, is one of the most challenging tasks I've ever done on a car. The pedal stopper pad gets brittle and disintegrates, over time. They are about the size of a LifeSaver and are often royal blue in color. If you see pieces laying on the driver's side floor mat, and the starter motor does not crank at all (total silence), remove the lower dash panel and press a new pedal pad (Honda Part No.46505-SA5-000) into the pedal arm hole. This is much easier said than done. The replacement part is white and retails for around $2.65. If you drive an older Honda, it's a good idea to replace it proactively, so you don't get stranded. While you are doing this, it's a good idea to also replace the brake pedal stopper pad--it uses the same pad, which can run your battery down if it fails and the brake lights stay on.

TRICK 1: For any access at all, remove the driver's seat. Carefully remove the seat belt connector, before lifting the seat out. Place towels on the floor to lessen the pain from laying on the weird shaped, stamped floor.

TRICK 2: Use a goose neck lamp, facing straight up, to even allow you to see where the clutch interlock switch pedal stopper pad goes.

TRICK 3: Attach a "one-man" bleeder to the slave unit, break open the bleeder screw, and position the clutch pedal to insert the pad.

TRICK 4: Make a special tool to insert the pad in the hole. I used a large paper clip for stiff wire, bent a "U" on the end to hold the pad for insertion, and locked it in a small needle nose pair of Vise Grips (6LN) for control. After inserting the pad in the hole, use a 9-1/2" long screwdriver (e.g., Xcelite R3166) to force the pad to seat in the hole and then remove the special tool. Wear safety glasses.

TRICK 5: If the plunger on the clutch interlock switch prevents you from being able to insert a new pedal stopper pad, take an X-ACTO knife or box cutter and cut 3/16" or 5 mm from the pad's "cone."
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 22, 2015, 02:20 PM
    It is really frustrating when something like that happens. I have a 6 speed 4.0 2006 Frontier. Went to the store, no problem. Came out, nothing. Thinking it might be a battery, I roll started it and went to Auto Zone-battery was fine, Alternator 14.2 VDC. Hmm- Looked at the clutch pedal and the cheap A&& plastic insert had broken. It could have cost me a tow and a repair for what-a 2 cent part? Nissan gave me a yes we know and have improved it. Well, I took a SS machine screw, ground off the groove and radiused it, put it through the hole with a nut and some threadlock, no problems in almost 3 years.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 22, 2015, 04:48 PM
    Yes, I was fortunate that the car didn't start when I came out to the garage. The day before, I was out in the middle of Nowhere, Texas. A tow from there would have broken the bank.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where's the clutch interlock switch on my Craftsman tractor? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman 15HP 42” 6 Speed model 917.252520 tractor with Engine 28N707. Where's the clutch interlock switch?

Brake/clutch engine start interlock switch (limit switch per Murray) [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 12 yr old,10hp, 30inch cut Murray riding mower which wouldn't start. After eliminating the battery, starter, solenoid and ignition switch as being the problem, I found that the plate that slides backwards to depress the button on the interlock switch is not coming back far enough to...

Ford Truck Clutch Interlock Switch [ 2 Answers ]

On a 1987 Ford F-150 standard shift truck the clutch interlock switch is apparently used to simply close the circuit for the starter switch when the clutch is fully depressed - in order to prevent starting without depressing the clutch. When it no longer works - i.e. : the starter will not work...

View more questions Search