Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    viposse Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2015, 04:26 PM
    My tank is somewhat cloudy.
    My 55 gallon community tank is somewhat cloudy. It used to be crystal clear but it has been get progressively less clear over time. It is mostly populated by mollies, some black tipped sharks, 4 catfish, those neon colored fish. My boyfriend, who is the owner of the tank, has about 25 little fish (none over 2 inches) in a 55 gallon tank. It has plenty of the air and the filter pads, which were dirty, were changed on Sunday. We had an algae bloom, and bought a small 2 inch pleco and treated the water with an algae remover. I know overfeeding is one of the problems, and I test the water with the freshwater testing kit not with strips.

Ammonia 0
    Nitrates 0
    Nitates 80 - 120
    Temp 79
    Ph 7.5

Please help!
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 19, 2015, 05:28 PM
    Unless there is some hidden issue, you have probably hit on the cause of this problem when you mentioned over-feeding. That is the number one cause of cloudy water. Only feed what can be consumed in about 5 minutes.

The filters are all clean? No dead fish laying hidden somewhere? I would start with cutting back on feeding and see where that goes.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 19, 2015, 06:37 PM
    Are you sure your nitrates are 0 and nitrites are 80-120? Nitrites should be at 0 and nitrates around 20 for a freshwater tank. Can you clarify?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cloudy tank [ 2 Answers ]

Why would my established fish tank all of a sudden turn cloudy, when nothing's changed, & it was always clear before?

Why is my tank green and cloudy? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new tank, 100 litres, set up Dec 26 added fish Jan 5, at first it was clear now it has become a cloudy whitish, the fish have now shown signs of ick so I am treating them (2 days now) have changed the water, about 20% everyday the last few days, as per instructions on the ick med. But...

New - Another Cloudy Tank! [ 28 Answers ]

Nitrate: at 40 ppm or slightly below Nitrite: 0 ppm Hardness: 120 ppm Alkalinity: 80 ppm PH: between 6.4 - 6.8 Ammonia: 0 ppm 29 Gallon tank, set it up around 5 months ago. Temperature right around 79 - 80 F

Cloudy Tank [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 46g tank that I had just set up two days ago. During that time, I added the recommended dose(46ml) of Cycle's bacterial supplement to "cycle" the tank. I also added the recommended amt of conditioning salt(9 tbs). The water in the tank does not contain chlorine or any chloramines. The...

Cloudy Fish Tank [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 50 gallon tank. Wasn't cloudy until I discovered one of the little sharks dead, caught in the filter thingy I removed the dead fish and added the treatment chemicals? What's next I have nine other fish I don't want to die. HELP! I'm new at this fish stuff, so please answer question...

View more questions Search