Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eminemloverx3 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

May 19, 2015, 10:54 AM
    Nail biting
    Hi I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips for me to help me kick my biting an picking my nails and skin habit. I'm always biting and picking the skin around my nails/top of my fingers and there really in bits. It's got so bad that I actually Vick and bite until I bleed my skin and fingers are so sore from it but I just can't seem to stop it's a. Really bad habit.. Anyone have any tips to stop? The horrible tasting nail polish didn't work.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 19, 2015, 11:01 AM
    Buy a box of disposable latex gloves at Walmart or a drugstore. There are other kinds available without latex in case you are allergic to latex. Or, instead of wearing gloves, buy an evil-tasting liquid (made for nailbiters) to apply to your nails.

May 19, 2015, 11:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Buy a box of disposable latex gloves at Walmart or a drugstore. There are other kinds available without latex in case you are allergic to latex. Or, instead of wearing gloves, buy an evil-tasting liquid (made for nailbiters) to apply to your nails.
    I absalutly hate latex gloves cannot wear them. I've tried the bad tasting liquid for the nails but I still pick my skins and nails when I have it on it doesn't stop me :(
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 19, 2015, 11:17 AM
    3 part approach to an obsession: create obstacles, create distractions, and find out what is bothering you emotionally so you aren't so nervous.

If you really want to stop this, you will try something slightly different if nail polish or latex gloves won't work - try wrapping each finger tip in adhesive tape! Think!
    For distractions, chew on carrot and celery sticks, frozen grapes, string cheese...
    For your emotions, see a therapist, and try one of the many medications that are sometimes helpful for OCD, and join a group for when you can't afford the therapist.

May 19, 2015, 11:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    3 part approach to an obsession: create obstacles, create distractions, and find out what is bothering you emotionally so you aren't so nervous.

If you really want to stop this, you will try something slightly different if nail polish or latex gloves won't work - try wrapping each finger tip in adhesive tape! Think!
    For distractions, chew on carrot and celery sticks, frozen grapes, string cheese...
    For your emotions, see a therapist, and try one of the many medications that are sometimes helpful for OCD, and join a group for when you can't afford the therapist.
    Thanks that helped a lot :) going to try all that! :D
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 19, 2015, 02:39 PM
    Try Bite not. It's the best product I've ever found for nail biters. Other brands aren't as strong as this one. It's worth a shot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nail Biting [ 9 Answers ]

Hey guys, So basically I'm a professional nail biter. It's a terrible terrible habit, but I just can't bring myself to stop. I've done it for as long as I can remember, right back into my childhood. I've tried a few things to try and kick it. I bought a nail polish that's supposed to help....

My 3 year old has bad nail biting [ 4 Answers ]

Hi,my daughter is 3 years and 4 mnths old.I have a few concerns with her that I posted one about how my daughter won't talk or play at daycare and has been like that for the past 8mnths,but at home she is a chatter box,also my daughter bites her nails really bad,when I got to sticky beek at her day...

Nail biting.I can't stop [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have been biting my nails for my whole life basically but its going to worse these past few years. I sit in class and I bit my nails for like the whole period which is kind of gross I think but I don't care what people think about me. Its just the fact that I want to stop biting my...

Nail Biting 19 month old. [ 4 Answers ]

My 19 month old son wore his nails down playing outside a few weeks ago (playing with gravel) and started sucking on his fingers to relieve the discomfort. He is now constantly biting his nails, and even a little on the skin. They are extremely short and I worry about infection. I would like to...

View more questions Search