Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicmel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2015, 08:10 AM
    Basic accounting
    Hello,
    I have a basic accounting question.
    In my balance sheet for 2014 I have € 10.000 in accounts payable.
    When this amount will be shown in my Profit & Loss?
    In 2014 one or in 2015, when the account payable will be actually paid?

Thank you
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2015, 09:40 AM
    Amounts in accounts payable are not directly shown in an income statement, otherwise known as a profit and loss statement.

You need to think of the different journal entries involving accounts payable such as your company purchasing equipment on account, which will be a debit to an asset account and a credit to accounts payable. These are both balance sheet accounts. When a company receives an utility bill that will be paid in the future then your journal entry would be a debit to an expense account like phone or water expense and a credit to accounts payable. The expense account is on a profit and loss statement and will reduce your profit. The accounts payable account is on the balance sheet.

When you pay an accounts payable your journal entry will be a debit to accounts payable and a credit to cash. Both of these accounts are balance sheet accounts and will not appear on a profit and loss statement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basic accounting [ 0 Answers ]

The following information is available for Hopkins Company: Beginning inventory $ 45,000 Ending inventory 70,000 Freight-in 10,000 Purchases 270,000 Purchase returns and allowances 8,000 Instructions Compute each of the following: Net Purchases:

Basic Accounting Question [ 13 Answers ]

I have been struggling with this question for some time, What is the difference between a general journal and a general ledger? Is the ledger comprised of the chart of accounts and their corresponding balances? Which if I am correct would run for ever... provided they are part of the four...

Accounting basic [ 1 Answers ]

What are the two basic philosophies as to the levels at which budgeted amounts should be set?

Basic accounting [ 11 Answers ]

Which of the following is an asset account? A retained earning b. unearned revenue c. prepaid expenses d. social security taxes withheld

View more questions Search