Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    natashap25 Posts: 49, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2015, 12:34 PM
    I don't like my friends anymore?
    I have 2 friends both are weird. One tells me we should plan a group trip in the summer and when I start discussing it , she backs out by saying no I'm poor and I can't afford it... I mean cmon, it was YOUR idea for the trip then how can you back out?? '

Then the other friend says that she will always be there for me blah blah, but when I ask her what she did on the weekend she just replies by nodding her head saying yes, yes and she doesn't respond to anything I say, she just smiles and nods. I mean what? Do you think this is normal?

I'm so ashamed of making friends like these, who I don't even hang out with anyway, I'm pretty lonely on the weekends always, but I hate myself for wasting so much time with these losers, they are so weird! People must think I'm weird too for hanging out with them.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 18, 2015, 01:30 PM
    Sounds to me like they both have lives outside of being around you.

Seriously... who doesn't think about going places even knowing they may never go there. Or has the maturity to know the trouble one can have if they don't have extra money if and when things go wrong... (and they frequently do), or that a smart person doesn't go if they can barely scrape up enough money if everything goes perfect.

I don't like telling every detail of my life to others... nor do most other adults.

You are making WAY too much out of this. How old are all of you anyway?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

May 18, 2015, 01:58 PM
    Are these the same friends you have written about before?

I think you need to start making new friends if you are going to continue having issues with the friends you do have. But one word of caution, learn to be more understanding of your friend's needs as you appear to want them to understand your needs. Don't push them away by trying to hold on too tightly.

Since you are going away to university in the Fall, why don't you look into a Summer job, volunteering or a Summer class or Community Center class to keep yourself busy and to practice meeting new people who might become new friends?

Don't depend on only two people who are starting to follow different paths than the one you are on. It doesn't make them or you a bad person or friend to take a different path or go at a different pace. No need to feel ashamed of your friendship which says more about you than it does them. Are you really so easily ashamed of people?

If you are good friends the friendship will survive. It will adapt to the new circumstances if you allow it to.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 18, 2015, 01:58 PM
    Over the years, you will find some friends are friends for just a short time in your life. They serve a purpose at the time... maybe helping you through a rough time, sharing a common interest for awhile, someone you just happen to have a couple of classes with, etc. You likely have some different friends now then you did even a couple of years ago. If you aren't really interested in them much now, just remain polite, but start to get involved with others who have interests that you share.

Try not to worry too much about what other people think. Like you, they are most likely too busy worrying about what others might think of them!
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2015, 12:27 PM
    Wow. I didn't go back and read your earlier posts but you do sound a little harsh on these two. Maybe they can sense that from the behaviors you exhibit.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 19, 2015, 01:02 PM
    I left home after high school in 1964. Recently came back home to take care of parents, both gone now. Reconnected with old friends locally and on Facebook, friends I hadn't seen or heard from in 40 to 50 years... guess what? I learned of old tragedies, a mother who committed suicide, a girl who got pregnant, a boyfriend mysteriously and sadly dumped for unknown reason, one who had been molested by an uncle, and I felt so out of it! Even my best friend had secrets I didn't know about. She died of cancer recently and I found out from her ex.
    I didn't just feel out of it, I felt ashamed.
    When we are teens, we don't usually pay attention to anyone around us, even close friends, except on a superficial level.
    I hope you can get to really know them better before you go off to uni.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm not my best friends best friend anymore [ 2 Answers ]

So I have known this girls since we were in 1st grade. We'll call her Amy. Me and Amy have been great friends for years. We text frequently and see each other weekly at least. We have always told each other everything, whether it be boy problems, problems with other girls or even family issues, we...

Tired of keeping my friend's bad secrets don't want to be friends anymore [ 1 Answers ]

I'm posting this to get this off my chest. My friend ana does some bad things. She told me about this stuff and doesn't want me to tell ANYONE. I thought that since this is an anonymous web site I could tell someone about this and get rid of the guilt of holding in such a secret as this. She is...

My sister's friends never seem to have time for her anymore.so what now? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, I am asking this question on behalf of my younger 17-year-old sister. She is in Grade 11 and a year away from graduating from high school, and recently she's run into a dilemma. Back when my sister was in elementary/primary school, she had a group of about 5-6 friends - all of them...

View more questions Search