Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RobPearce Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Mapping Network Drive using Wireless Connection
    I am having major problems mapping to an external network drive when using a Wireless router. I have a load of colleagues that need to do this in their offices & a lot cant. I can do it when linked direct to my home router using network cable. (this does not really help though as I need to be able to do this with wireless)

I have tried disabling all the firewalls etc in case these are blocking the mapped drive (some block numbered ip addresses apparently - 194.164 etc, thinking they are trojans?) & have even tried connecting to an unsecured wireless connection in case it was security settings on the router I was connecting to.

The really weird thing is that sometimes (on some machines) the drive will map! & sometimes on one day the drive won't map & then on the next it will!

Has anyone heard of this happening before and/or, how can I get round it?

Cheers.
    Rob
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 12, 2007, 08:49 AM
    I have noticed that with a home router, it can sometimes take a few minutes for Windows XP to find the netowrk path to the other machines on my network.

Right after start-up, if I try to access a network path (like \\machine-name\share$) the path cannot be found, but if I wait a minute or so, the path is found.

Maybe your people are trying to map the drive before the machines have had a chance to discover they availability of the path?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sharing dial up connection over wireless ad-hoc network. [ 7 Answers ]

Hi!! Does anybody know how to share a dial up connection over a wireless ad-hoc network. I have managed to share files and folders. And I have even managed to share my printer. But I can't for the life of me seem to share my dial up connection. Can anybody help? Regards Luke :confused:...

Connection to 2 network at once (wireless) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm using wireless network at home, and need to connect using Cisco VPN client, into 2 networks. Should I try the solution you gave using another NIC installed on my laptop ? Is this NIC should have wireless access or should it use the same internet access I already using ? Thanks Refer to...

Win98 and mapping a domain shared drive ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I've some computers which are running Win98, 95 and ME, I don't need to make them as members of my domain, but just I want to map some folders on the File server which is located on the DC, and that to be used by those old OS users. Everything went fine, until the OS asked the...

Mapping Network drive ? [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, A user who is not a member of a domain, need to map for him/her a drive on the DC ( file server ), I can map the drive, but the system doesn't ask me to remember or save the password ( he asks for the user name and password of the DC ADMIN ). So every time the user starts his/her...

Sharing internet connection on wireless network (ad hoc) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi this is my first post on here and I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a PC and a laptop both with wireless cards. I've managed to connect the 2 and have good signal. I went into my internet connection settings and clicked the check box "allow others to connect through this...

View more questions Search