Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    islamik Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2015, 11:43 PM
    Retail theft and Green card
    Hi, in Jnuary 2011, I've been caught on a shoplifting charge for $15 worth of merchandise in Pennsylvania , the store manager had called the cops.

The cops arrested me and was taken to police dept. and got photographed, fingerprinted.

18& 3929 &&A1 (LEAD)

I plead guilty and paid $188 chrages. Mailed the money order to the court and tha was it. The lady told me on the phone that it is all I had to do. It was Fines: $50 and Costs: $138(by the way what is the difference between costs and fines?).

Im about to apply for adjustment of status through the marriage to a citizen of US.

It is the only crime that I have done in my entire life.

My question is , how is it going to affect my adjustment of status in USCIS ?

Thank you very Much.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 17, 2015, 08:08 AM
    Fine, is penalty for breaking the law. Cost, price to operate court, judges, lawyers, clerks, building.

It can have a negative effect, since they will consider if you were doing other crimes and just not caught.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 17, 2015, 08:08 AM
    That can very well cost you the chance at a green card. Because they know most people caught do it many times before they are caught.

YOU have to wait and see if it will.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 17, 2015, 10:27 AM
    So you paid 10X the cost of what you stole and may very well lose your chance at a green card. Sounds like common sense did not prevail.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

May 17, 2015, 01:22 PM
    Do not proceed on I-485 on your own, get the best immigration attorney you could find.
    CYRAXDIAZ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2015, 07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lawanwadee View Post
    Do not proceed on I-485 on your own, get the best immigration attorney you could find.
    I went through the same process to obtain my green card, I used an attorney to file the first part of the process, but it seemed to me that she did exactly what I would have done anyway, about your specific case you might have a shot since it was a non-violent crime and you paid your dues, OK on a second thought yes you need an attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRAXDIAZ View Post
    I went through the same process to obtain my green card, I used an attorney to file the first part of the process, but it seemed to me that she did exactly what I would have done anyway, about your specific case you might have a shot since it was a non-violent crime and you paid your dues, OK on a second thought yes you need an attorney.
    Catholic Charities have immigration lawyers that can help you for a lot less than you would pay another attorney
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Jul 7, 2015, 11:11 AM
    I agree that you should consult an experienced immigration attorney, Generally a theft offense is a CIMT, but depending on the state statute, it may come under the petty offense exception.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 7, 2015, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Fine, is penalty for breaking the law. Cost, price to operate court, judges, lawyers, clerks, building.
    Actually, costs are what the plaintiff (the prosecution, in a criminal case such as this) has expended in the specific case. Filing fees, service of process, and such. Costs recovered in an individual case can, I suppose, find their way to pay the court's overhead (the expenses you describe), but not necessarily. And "lawyers" would normally be something else too.

NYcityboy, this thread is almost two months old, with nothing new in it but our posts. It would be best to leave it be.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Jul 8, 2015, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Actually, costs are what the plaintiff (the prosecution, in a criminal case such as this) has expended in the specific case. Filing fees, service of process, and such. Costs recovered in an individual case can, I suppose, find their way to pay the court's overhead (the expenses you describe), but not necessarily. And "lawyers" would normally be something else too.

NYcityboy, this thread is almost two months old, with nothing new in it but our posts. It would be best to leave it be.
    AK, just trying to help, for others with similar situations that are reading and may not want to post.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Igot married to green card holder girl how could I get a green card? [ 3 Answers ]

I got married to green card holder girl of usa, how could I get a green card?

How can I save status from temporary green card to permanent green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm from india I'm newly coming in the US my marriage done in the 2009 and then they bring my document here in the US and the file it here and I get visa in December and I came to US in January 2010 after one month of marriage they left me because of gold and money needed more they findout my...

Conditional green card needing a divorce. Will the green card be lost? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a conditional green card by marriage in good faith. My wife(my petitioner) and I were only together for 2 months after marriage since she has to go to rehab for drug control.She has a boyfriend before who was into drugs and was controlling her that is why she was sent to rehab.Up to this...

Credit Card Theft In Retail Store [ 13 Answers ]

I'm wondering if any of you out there might be able to help me out with this situation. My wife has a record with credit card theft. She was put on Probation back in 2004 and was taken off sometime in 2008. She completed her probation so all of that was taken care of. Just today 2 detectives...

Is H1 married to Green Card Holder elligible to apply for Green Card? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am on my H1B visa in USA since Jan 2006.I got married to a Permanent resident in US while I am on my h1B. 1) I would like to know if I could start my green card processing through my husband? 2) How long can I stay on my H1B and when should I get my extension of H1B? Thanks Much!...

View more questions Search