Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joytl424 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2015, 07:27 PM
    Livelihood
    Can you sue if someone affects your livelihood
    spicywings Posts: 85, Reputation: 9

May 13, 2015, 07:39 PM
    And how exactly would one affect your livelihood? Did they cause irreparable damage to your business or business reputation causing a decline in your ability to make a living or get access to financial contracts? Or... something else?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 14, 2015, 05:29 AM
    The off-the-cuff answer is "sure" - because anyone can sue anybody for anything. But to give you a more specific answer, such as whether you have a viable cause for suing, we need to know what transpired. In what way did this person affect your livelihood? For example: if this person made false statements to your employer you may have a case. But if you have been stealing cash from the till and this person blew the whistle on you, then no.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 14, 2015, 05:43 AM
    As the others have noted its impossible to give you a reasonable answer based on such little information. Anyone can sue over anything. The question is whether you can win such a suit. The answer to that depends on the details of how you were wronged.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 14, 2015, 02:57 PM
    1) You work nights and sleep days. Your neighbor makes a lot of noise during the day. You fall asleep at work and get fired.
    2) You say something nasty about your boss on Facebook. You get fired the next day.
    3) A co-worker spreads rumors about you, and tells your supervisor that you shoplift. You do, but have never been caught, and the co-worker is the only one who knew. You get fired.

As stated above, you can sue anyone for anything. 1 and 2 won't get you a dime. 3 might.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 15, 2015, 01:28 AM
    Walmart opened a store in my home town. It caused business I worked for to close, and I lost my livelihood. But I can not sue Walmart. So, the details of the issue need to be discussed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you sue someone for interfering with your livelihood [ 5 Answers ]

I have a boyfriend/fiance who has to pay restitution to a women he was in an accident with about 10 years ago. He could go to jail for not paying it. He is also on parole. You would never know now that anything like that happened. Right now he is almost our sole provider. Our being me and my 7...

Blackmail of livelihood [ 8 Answers ]

Thanks

Defamation of character leads to loss of family, home, livelihood [ 3 Answers ]

I was the sole caregiver to my mother and stepfather for five years. After the death of my stepfather, my four brothers come in from out of state and accuse me of neglect and abuse and say I never once helped my mother or stepfather, try to evict me with only my personal possessions, accuse me of...

View more questions Search