jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

May 13, 2015, 02:38 PM
    Re Flood Insurance in a Flood zone
    I have a friend who is almost 90 years old . He had a reverse mortgage
    For some years (I don't understand it well) and now he pays taxes and
    Bills, etc. Our section of Brooklyn, NY got hit by Sandy, at least those
    Of us on either ends of the area but where he lives he's safe from any
    Of those inlets that caused the flooding... yet, he knows he is at some
    Point going tohave to pay flood insurance.

I heard terrible rumors that the cost for flood insurance will be in the
    Thousands... he doesn't have that... he's on food stamps. Do you
    Know what to expect re flood insurance?
    spicywings Posts: 85, Reputation: 9

May 13, 2015, 07:12 PM
    Why would he be paying flood insurance if he was not hit or in a flood zone or do you not know the flood zone level? Is he in what's considered "officially" a flood zone? They are several flood zones (a, er, a99, x,). Do you know what zone he is in? You can do things like grandfathering to save money but that's usually only if say for the longest, the house/dwelling that was built was in a low-flood zone and is all of a sudden its in a high-zone area, then you can grandfather in for the lower-risk zone rates.

Again, he'll need to figure out what zone he's in first.I don't know it by heart but I know enough because my mother's house is in a HIGH-flood area in the south (she lives in a Valley in the SE of the US right off a huge river... )

Anyhow, I would first get a hold of a flood map for that area and take it from there.
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

May 13, 2015, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spicywings View Post
    Why would he be paying flood insurance if he was not hit or in a flood zone or do you not know the flood zone level? Is he in what's considered "officially" a flood zone? They are several flood zones (a, er, a99, x,). Do you know what zone is he in? You can do things like grandfathering to save money but that's usually only if say for the longest, the house/dwelling that was built was in a low-flood zone and is all of a sudden its in a high-zone area, then you can grandfather in for the lower-risk zone rates.

Again, he'll need to figure out what zone he's in first.I don't know it by heart but I know enough because my mother's house is in a HIGH-flood area in the south (she lives in a Valley in the SE of the US right off a huge river... )

Anyhow, I would first get a hold of a flood map for that area and take it from there.
    I already know the Zone because I'm in the same one... except for me I'm a renter, I don't own a home... my landlord got flooded in his basement... my friend is also in Zone A even though he wasn't affected.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 13, 2015, 07:29 PM
    Living in an A Zone
    Flood insurance is mandatory in all A zones because of the high potential of flooding.If your home is in an A zone (includes AE, A1-A30, AH, AO, AR) follow these important recommendations:

• Enclosed areas below the lowest floor cannot be used for living space.

• Electrical, heating, ventilation, plumbing, air conditioning equipment and other service facilities must be elevated to or above the BFE.

Have you done these? The risk is "potential", not what hasn't happened in the past.
    spicywings Posts: 85, Reputation: 9

May 13, 2015, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23 View Post
    I already know the Zone because I'm in the same one... except for me I'm a renter, I don't own a home... my landlord got flooded in his basement... my friend is also in Zone A even though he wasn't affected.
    For A zones...

I looked at Brooklyn, NY in general on the FEMA flood map site: https://msc.fema.gov/portal and it doesn't specify if your area is

1) a change from low to moderate flood risk which means flood insurance is mandatory or

2) Change from high flood to low/moderate which means flood insurance is optional.

Anyhow, I went to floodsmart.gov and put in a random Brooklyn, IL address (one on sale):

https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmar...sSearch.action

1579 Union St
    Brooklyn 11213 and if you are insuring contents only: it'll be $44 up to 266 a year. If he is insuring the building and contents, it's $137 up to 452 a year...

Again, based on if it's A or B above... you can qualify for a low-cost PRP... I'm sure if he mentions that he is on some kind of assistance, they can do something to help him further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The flood [ 1 Answers ]

The water heater blows the T.m.P. valve every time the water is used.I am on a well system there is also a lot of sediment in the well.the water pressure fluctuates dramatically as if the well pump keeps getting triggered,could this be a problem with the bladder tank? If it is the bladder tank...

Flood Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Are there companies that help with the paperwork that FEMA requires to prove that a house is not in a flood zone? If so, do you know the names or how to find them in the South FLorida area?

Flood Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

I was just informed that my mortgage company required me to have flood insurance. I was wondering if anyone know's what is the general fee more or less to get a elevation certificate. I just got a quote, just for flood was 2,800 not including the home insurance. I find it rather high. So I was told...

View more questions Search