Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kgd523 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2005, 05:34 PM
    Norton System Works install problem
    I have never had a problem installing NSW on my XP system. Now I have had no luck trying 3 times to install NSW 2005. It does load OK and then when I restart, the splash window apprears with the text message:
    "The smartest way to optimize and protect your PC" and below it is the
    " NEXT" button. This button does not work! It should take me to the Configuration Wizard. Also this window is all white with no graphics at all.
    I have tried closing all apps via the selective startup; cleaning out temp folders; degfragging; checked for virus. None of this has helped.
    Norton Antivirus does appear to work. The icon is in the try and it seems to be checking my email. I can also run WinDoctor if I go to the Start / Programs/Norton and find it on the menu. Live update works too but it skips one antivirus update. I have looked all over the Symantec site for any reasonable clue. I hope I will have better luck here.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Mar 2, 2005, 02:17 PM
    Norton system works
    I'm not surprised your having problems with Norton.

They have been around long enough.

Check this out!
    http://service1.symantec.com/support...rc=bar_sch_nam

Sorry to be so negative,
    Nez. :D
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Mar 2, 2005, 04:37 PM
    Norton
    Hi kgd523,my first reply was me being synical of Symantic.Often their help base can lead nowhere.

The link below DOES NOT mention any 2005 products however,but I will keep looking for you.

But it might be useful for anyone else having trouble with Norton products,but please read the whole page carefully,as there are links to other parts of the site.

The link below informs you of what to do if you uninstalled Norton products,but they FAILED,even after using the add/remove program in Windows.

I say again,if you follow the link,please read all information VERY CAREFULLY!

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01090510510636

All the best,
    Nez.
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Mar 3, 2005, 10:43 AM
    Norton Not Again
    What part of Norton System works do you like or use most, if its, the Anti Virus, then there are at least 3 better free ones.
    Anti Vir, Avast, AVG, all 3 test out much better and are smaller less resource hogs and problem free than Norton, PcCillin paid version is also better.

Is it the fix it section, then get Advanced System Optimizer, 20x better, also Fix it Utilities is much better.

All the Norton setup you have does is take up system resources and cause problems, you say you have never had them until now, well your LUCKY, I had Norton problems years ago, back when I was a fan of them, now they stink and they know it and won't spend the money to catch up to the rest of the software companies passing them up.

I suggest, get rid of norton and go in another direction, and not Mcafee or Panda.

:o
    desbyrne Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2005, 04:18 PM
    Have Symantec gone out of business?
    You seem to be absolutely spot on Wendy. I bought SystemWorks 2003 last May... it seemed expensive but I had just got Broadband so thought it best.

In the last few days I got an error message every time I power on my PC which included a dead Symantec link. I uninstalled and reinstalled the produce but no luck - still get the stupid message that another programme has changed the settings. Also the live update no longer works, I am pretty livid about it because I paid good money for 12 months service - not 9!!

All the Symantec links in this forum are dead. In fact I cannot ever get www.symantec.com? Anyone know what is up?

Des
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2005, 05:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by desbyrne
    All the Symantec links in this forum are dead. In fact I cannot ever get www.symantec.com? Anyone know what is up?

Des
    I had not problem with that link.
    phr0ze Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Mar 18, 2005, 10:44 PM
    Maybe it's a virus which is preventing you from getting to sites that can help you remove it and keeping your AV from properly working. I hope not, but it is possible.

Mar 19, 2005, 01:44 AM
    Hope you are wrong
    Thanks for response guys. I hope you are wrong but will download one of the anti virus products mentioned by Wendy... AVG and scan my system. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Des
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2005, 06:27 AM
    Nsy 2005
    Hi,
    Sometimes, Norton System Works 2005 will run much more smoothly if you only have the Norton Antivirus running.
    Go to Start/Run , and type in MSCONFIG.
    Click on the StartUp tab at top.
    Then, look to the left at all the programs starting up when you boot up the computer.
    You can Left click on any to remove the checkmark.
    You might try un-checking any part of Norton, EXCEPT Norton email protect, and Norton Auto Protect. Then, click on Apply, then OK, and re-boot.
    In that way, only the Norton Antivirus will be running all the time.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    PS, When you need the other Norton programs to run, just open them from Start/Programs/Norton, or put icons on you desktop for them.

Mar 19, 2005, 07:49 AM
    worked perfectly!
    A big thank you to everyone. I downloaded AVG and when I ran it I discovered 9 Trojan virus files!!

The virus had obviously corrupted Norton in some way and stopped it working.

Despite paying for Norton up to May, why bother reinstalling it when the free AVG is obviously a better product? The proof is that it was able to detect and disable a virus which knocked Norton out.

By the way, I had updated Norton frequently. Bye bye Norton... next I intend checking out Advanced System Optimizer, 20x, or Fix it Utilities.

Thanks Des

Mar 20, 2005, 12:37 PM
    Advanced System Optimizer
    OK Last from me: Got Advanced System Optimizer on trial yesterday and I am well impressed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Norton System Works won't un-install [ 3 Answers ]

Parts of the Norton System Works ('03) CAN'T be gotten rid of. Especially, the NPROTECT.exe (for the recycle bin) process refuses to be killed so I can install an older version of Norton Utilities ('02 without Norton Anti-Virus). The recycle bin won't work at all now and I also want to get rid of...

Hampton bay 7 light Track system... Nothing Works [ 3 Answers ]

Okay I installed a track light about a year ago and it has worked for that time. A few weeks ago everything failed on it. None of the lights work. I took it apart and tested the main power coming into the light, from the breaker, it tested out okay. Insdide the fixture is a transformer and...

How to install a running P-trap in septic system [ 14 Answers ]

My husband and I have a country place that we go to for about 4 months of the year. It is on a septic system. The system was put in in 1998. Everything works fine with one exception. After we have been in the country place for about 6 weeks, the septic begins to smell. There is some slight...

Norton/system restore [ 13 Answers ]

Hi there, As a newbie could use some help. My system restore does not restore. When I try to restore to previous setting it appears to go through the motions and then says it cannot restore. I have set new restore dates but it still does not restore. Read somewhere system restore is a useless...

Install operating system [ 1 Answers ]

I picked up a second computer that has no operating system. Is there any way to use the operating system on my working computer and install it in the second one?

View more questions Search