Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikemike1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2015, 04:41 PM
    02 mazda tribute blown head gasket?
    Hello and thanks for any help,
    I have a 2002 Mazda tribute LX, 3.0 , V6 ,2WD

Last week I parked my car at night and wouldn't start the next morning,
    I have checked my fuel pump and lines, I have checked my coil packs and there is no fire to only #5 ,
    The motor spins and spins but won't turn over, I hear the fuel pump priming, I have power inside the car as well.

I'm unsure how to check compression, but a friend said it sounds fine,
    So I pulled it to a shop and the mechanic said it's a blow head gasket? Priced it at $2,500
    It was driving fine until that night, may have idled low once in awhile while the motor was cold, but no signs of a problem like that.

I'm looking for a 2nd opinion. I'm stumped and need a bit of help,
    Thanks.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 11, 2015, 05:25 PM
    I have to say, it doesn't sound like a head gasket problem...not saying that there isn't actually a head gasket problem, but from what you describe, this doesn't sound like the cause of your no start. You said there was a problem with #5...I would either look further into that or take it somewhere else for a second opinion.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 12, 2015, 05:05 AM
    . Check for codes.
    . Check all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter.
    . Check and record each cylinder's compression. Remove all of the spark plugs, attach a compression gauge to each spark plug hole, crank the starter motor, and record the reading.

I'm skeptical that the head gasket blew. Instead, I suspect a bad coil, crankshaft position sensor, or camshaft position sensor. Over 90% of crank but won't start situations are electrical related. If the problem persists, check the fuel pressure. The fuel rail must be fully pressurized, in order for the engine to start.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blown head gasket maybe? [ 2 Answers ]

My ealer repair shop has told me I might have a blown head gasket and maybe a hairline crack in the block. But they do not know for sure and won't know unless the open it up which will take 22 hours of labor. After reading some of your responses, it appears cars with this problem overheat, mine...

Head gasket blown [ 2 Answers ]

Its an mg tf convertible, how much will this cost approx

Blown head gasket? [ 7 Answers ]

I was driving my friends car when I hit a patch of ice and went into a stop sign... we got it home to find out there was a massive hole in the radiator and the car was over heating fast. It seemed a hose came of the radiator because there was anti freeze everywhere. I have replaced the radiator but...

Blown head gasket! [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 1993 ford taurus 3.8L V6 automatic GL. I have a blown head gasket. I would like to know if it would be best to get it fixed or get a new engine? Why does it cost so much to replace the head gaskets? If I decide to get a engine would it be better to get a new, rebuilt, or used engine?

Blown Head Gasket? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 97 cadillac seville sls with a northstar engine. It has been in the shop a few times over the past 4 months. It started overheating so I took it to the auto shop, (which was supposed to repair it, so I figured). I had the thermostat, water pump, radiator, oxygen sensors replaced, but none...

View more questions Search