Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raptor6978 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2015, 05:28 AM
    Linking Excel Sheets
    I am trying to link multiple worksheets in Excel together. Specifically, I am making a workbook for a baseball league, and every team has its own sheet. They are all basically copies of each other, with just a different team name. The problem is, I am constantly updating the formulas in each sheet, adding new columns or rows for different statistics and such. This means whenever I finish adding a feature to one team, I have to copy that change thirty times. Is there any way I could set up the workbook where I have one copy of a "master sheet", where any changes I make to the master sheet get automatically copied to all the individual team sheets?

Just to be clear, I am not looking to link data from one sheet to another, I want to copy the formulas, and do it automatically. So 'Team Lookup'!CellName won't work.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 11, 2015, 10:15 AM
    Frankly I wouldn't use Excel for this purpose I would use a database like Access. Excel is a great spreadsheet, but a poor database. And that's what you need.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

May 11, 2015, 03:39 PM
    Scott is right regarding Access. But if you're hooked on Excel, the real goal here would still be to NOT be maintaining separate sheets, that's just missing the benefit of computers, eliminating redundant tasks, not creating new ones.

What I would do...

1) Create a SINGLE sheet with all data for all teams. This way if you ever add a new statistic column, you're only adding it on the one sheet and now it's there for every one.

2) Create a SINGLE reporting sheet where a single cell is used to select one team to "summarize", a Dashboard of sorts, then all the statistics are drawn in right now for that one team to review. This sheet can be designed any way you wish, perhaps very similar to what your current multiple sheets are.
    raptor6978 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2015, 08:57 AM
    Thanks, I will probably adapt this to Access over the summer, don't really have time right now. I have already applied the basic approach you outlined, I already have one sheet with all the necessary raw numbers and another with all the statistics. The only problem is I have to reference all of the different teams to create a standings, so I need each of them individually. I also don't want a sheet that is a million rows long just to make stats easier. Thanks for the advice though, I will probably just leave it until school ends.
    Bead Mad Woman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2015, 05:53 AM
    I don't know if this would work but if you copy all of the relevant information that is to appear in the other worksheets then select all of the worksheets in which you want the link(s) to appear then use the paste function and choose insert link (usually the icon to the far right of the paste options) and paste the information to match the columns and rows of the master worksheet. I know pasting a link works for my ledger summary page if I make any changes to any of the worksheets for the month by month invoicing. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to link multiple excel sheets to one main source excel sheet [ 7 Answers ]

I have a master price list and multiple ( individule ) sheets for customers.. I would like to , when input data in the price list to link and update to all other sheets... ( I do not want to have a source sheet with tabs) Thanks

Linking of Excel sheets and updating the data from one sheet to all the sheets [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys! I have a problem. I want all of your help in solving the problem. For the purpose, I have created a sample sheet and enclosed: The sample sheet contains four worksheets in it. The first worksheet titled “schools performance” is the master sheet and all the next three work sheets (sub...

Linking All Sheets in Workbook to 1 Sheet [ 1 Answers ]

I have an excel workbook with multiple sheets. My first sheet is a hyperlink list to all the different sheets. I would like to have a hyperlink in each sheet back to the list sheet. Is there a formula or simple way to do this without going to each sheet and manually doing it? I am thinking cell A1...

Linking in Excel [ 3 Answers ]

I have searched through the questions and answers to excel linking and can't find exactly what I am looking for. So far it looks as if hyperlink function may be the way I need to go but it's not quite what I want. I have a large sheet of items with all their details, as well as the prices of...

Excel Linking [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I need help on following project 1) I am generating purchase orders in excel each time with a new file 2) I am copying and pasting the contents such as description/amount/supplier etc in a master excel file My question is can anyone help me to achieve following 1) I will generate...

View more questions Search