Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ofaria Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2015, 01:30 AM
    Garden hose bib leaking into finished hardwood walkout basement
    Why did water come onto hardwood floor of finished walkout basement after using the garden hose the first time in spring (mid May)? Temperature has been above freezing for about a month and the hose bib pipe was drained in the fall and the water was shut off over the winter. If the pipe froze and burst over the winter wouldn't there have been a leak before the garden hose was used? How do I locate where the damaged pipe is? There was not any visible water entry from the wall or ceiling only on the floor and the garden pipe runs at the ceiling height from the main water shut off. Your response and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, OCF worried.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 11, 2015, 04:24 AM
    Why did water come onto hardwood floor of finished walkout basement after using the garden hose the first time in spring (mid May)?
    Because pipe burst inside the wall and water is running down the inside of the wall to the floor level.

hose bib pipe was drained in the fall and the water was shut off over the winter.
    BUT, did you open the bleeder valve on the side of the stop valve when you turned the water off for the winter? You must open the bleeder valve to let air into the pipe in order for the water in the pipe to drain out. If you don't open the bleeder valve, the water won't drain out of the pipe.

Harold,
    The Left Handed Widget Maker
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 11, 2015, 09:21 AM
    Did you actually see where the water was coming out? I doubt that a pipe is broken if you drained the line like you said. Could be a bad washer in the garden hose but you'd be able to see that so please reply.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hose bib is still leaking [ 4 Answers ]

I have replaced the stem washer of my hose bib but the faucet is still leaking. I have to use a wrench to turn the faucet handle far enough to get it to stop dripping. Any suggestions

Leaking hose bib [ 1 Answers ]

Already removed the first nut. But the stem will not come out. So I could replace the washer. Has a second nut that seems frozen. Does that nut also have to come off. See Picture Attachment

Leaking antisiphon hose bib [ 3 Answers ]

I have a severe leak under lthe grey cap of lmy antisiphon hose bib. Can this be fixed, or do I have to replace the whole hose bib?

View more questions Search