Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mattt181 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2015, 02:12 PM
    Installing ceiling fan 5 wire capacitor, where does the 2nd grey wire attach?
    I am working with a Regency fan with 5 wire capacitor(2 grey, 1 red, 1 brown, 1 purple). Prior to me opening up this fan, a maintenance man worked on it to just "get it working." It works on 1 speed only because the capacitor is bubbled up, so I know it is bad. I have another capacitor from the same model fan that we took down because of broken blades and I'd like to swap in the good capacitor in place of the blown up capacitor.

The problem is, since someone else has messed with the wiring after the factory, I am unsure where the 2nd grey wire was intended to attach. The 1 grey wire that IS still attached goes to the reversing switch. The other grey wire is cut and has electrical tape over it. The other 3 wires(red, purple, brown) are all accounted for and hooked up correctly to the fan motor and the pull chain switch.

Can you offer some assistance and let me know where the 2nd(disconnected) grey wire is supposed to attach? Thank you so much, in advance.

Matt

EDIT: Someone moved this reply from an older thread that has all the relevant info that adds ALL the context to my question. Splitting this off to it's own thread is a mistake since the old thread covered the whole issue in context. The old thread was never answered in it's entirety, which is why I added my reply to that thread. Old thread here.... https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ml#post2763121
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 10, 2015, 03:44 PM
    I was a top poster here and "something happened". I do, however tend to respond to old threads.

1) Can you check the resistance between the two greys? I have hunch it could just be convenience.

2) How many speeds was the fan? 3 or 4?

3) Can you post a pic of the cap?

4) number of wires each side? 2 & 3?

May 10, 2015, 04:54 PM
    Both grey wires on same side of cap. The other 3 colors(opposite side of cap) go to pull chain switch, and power to fan head. It's a 3 speed fan, high, med, low. I'm replying from phone so I'm short on reply. Pic later.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 10, 2015, 05:06 PM
    I'm kind of betting that hey grey wires are connected together.

May 10, 2015, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KISS View Post
    I'm kind of betting that hey grey wires are connected together.
    Pictured added. What is "home" for both gray wires?

My plan was to just replace like to like, but since someone prior has changed the wiring from factory spec, I do not know the original home for gray wire #2(taped on end in the pic)........that is, unless the 2nd gray wire is not used and was never wired to anything from the factory?????
    Attached Images

Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2015, 07:31 AM
    It's very likely that the other grey wire was not used. Keep in mind that controls, such as switches are used in more than one model of fan or device, and that the grey wire, although not used here may be used in other devices.

May 12, 2015, 01:20 AM
    I hooked it back up today with nothing going to the second grey wire. Red wire goes directly from the capacitor through the square plug to the fan motor. Purple, brown, and black wire all attach to the pull chain switch. That accounts for 4 of the 5 wires coming out of the capacitor.

When I hooked it back up, I only have 1 speed... slow. I tried the other fan head motor and hooked it up with the same good(non-blistered) capacitor. Either fan motor... I only have one speed... slow. One of the original capacitors is blisted up as pictured in post #5. The other looks perfect, no blisters. So, with the good capacitor in either fan, I still just have 1 speed... slow.

I guess either both fan motors are no good, or the only other part I have not replaced is the pull chain switch. Do the pull chain switches go bad? One chain pull = slow speed, one more chain pull = same speed, one more chain pull = off.

With the original capacitor being blistered, I was "certain" that was the problem, but I was wrong. Would the one speed only be caused by a bad motor or more likely by a bad chain pull switch? Or both??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire a 2 RH and W to a 3 honeywell which wire can I attach to get power [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I have the 2 wire system and would like to add a wire to make a Honeywell or other thermostat work. Which wire connection can I get the power from? I will add an extra wire but need to know in the 2 wire system where to connect it?

Wire disconnected from battery in remote ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a ceiling fan that can only be operated using a remote. (Hampton, I believe) The battery in the remote is disconnected from the wires on 1 end. (2 wires total, one still attached, another one broken away from battery, hanging lose How do I fix this? Thanks so much, Tracy

The orange wire is disconnected in my white-rodgers thermostat [ 0 Answers ]

I have an "Insider" heat pump with a White-Rodgers 2H/1C Type 1F59-15 thermostat. Today I noticed the a/c wasn't cooling. The temperature was 85 but the thermostat was sitting on 73. I took the cover off the thermostat, blew on it, tapped it a little, jiggled it a little and it came on. While...

Hi, I am so worried right now.I was supposed to Start my period on the 2nd [ 3 Answers ]

You asked: Hi, I am so worried right now.I was supposed to Start my period on the 2nd of this month but instead I started spotting pink and peachy pink on the 30th of June.Then later on that night I started bleeding but I was only bleeding for three days which is odd because I am usually a 7...

There is a yellow wire that is disconnected to my 8050 model where does it hook up [ 1 Answers ]

My model 8050 thermostat has a disconnected yellow wire I need to know where to connect it

View more questions Search