Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 9, 2015, 07:05 AM
    Installing Vent Fan
    My detached garage needs some sort of vent fan for the warmer weather as it gets incredibly humid in there and creates rust problems. I am going to install a vent fan but I am wondering if I also need a vent on the opposite wall to allow airflow or would putting this in just pull in more humidity? Would having just the vent fan with no way for crossflow even help?
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

May 9, 2015, 03:32 PM
    Venting a closed area can make it more comfortable, and cross ventilation is probably best allowing more efficient air flow. However, the humidity is more a factor of the outside environment when there is no climate control. I guess it would help lingering humidity on some days, it would speed the drying of the inside when it is more arid outside.

Some details about the construction of your garage and your climate could inspire other ideas that may help. I am in Florida and there is no escaping the humidity without AC. In my garage, opening the windows at night and closing them before sunrise makes a bit of difference with humidity, and a big difference on temperature. It is insulated though and has cement floors. When I lived in NY, simply running a dehumidifier in our detached garage would do the trick.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 9, 2015, 05:25 PM
    Where are you located? Is the humidity coming out of the floor of the garage or is the air humid everywhere
    Entomology Expert

May 10, 2015, 10:35 AM
    The garage is built into a hill. Half of it is brick, the upper half is wood...not insulated. The floor seems to be damp in the summer and humidity just lingers in there with the sun beating down on the roof. I have tools and some equipment in there that I am concerned will be affected by this.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 10, 2015, 11:02 AM
    You can install a powered attic fan and set the temp for what you need. A garage is not so air tight that you need to create another opening, you can if you want but it won't do a whole lot. There is probably no vapor barrier under the floor so you are stuck with a damp floor but you could paint it, walls too. Paint & Accessories | Liquid Coatings | DRYLOK® Concrete Floor Paint Gull Gallon | B762575 - GlobalIndustrial.com
    Entomology Expert

May 10, 2015, 11:06 AM
    Thanks for the help. I can't give you rep as I have to spread it around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom plumbing, Installing drain and vent [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am working on planning a new bathroom in a basement projet that was not originally planned for any plumbing. I have no easy access to a vent pipe that runs to the roof in the basement and I was looking to use a AAV valve. Can you please advise if this layout looks like it would work? I...

When installing a sweat shut off with a vent, what side of the feed does the vent go [ 5 Answers ]

What side of the feed does the vent go on a sweat valve with this feature?

Installing a Standpipe without a vent? [ 4 Answers ]

Can I install a standpipe for a washing machine with an s-trap and not vent it?

Installing a air vent for plumbing. [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for your advise it has been great!! Question, when installing new plumbing, putting in the air vent from the drain pipe. The piece that protrudes through the roof, can this be PVC or does it have to be something else. Also how much should stick out above the roof. We have snow in...

Installing over the range microwave with old vent [ 4 Answers ]

Helo! We want to install an over the range microwave, where an old double oven GE range used to be. The cabinet above the new range has a huge hole with part of the old vent coming out. We are not sure what to do about this hole, or if a vent will be needed for a new microwave going in. We...

View more questions Search