Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

May 6, 2015, 08:14 PM
    Framing bedroom wall... drywall first and then build closet, or build closet first?
    We're adding a third bedroom in a rental house. I've done a good bit of drywall, but am by no means a professional. It always comes out looking OK, but I'm slow. We're going to frame a wall on an enclosed porch with a door in it and then inside that wall, will be a small closet. Is it easier to drywall the wall first and then build the closet, so I don't have to cut as much drywall inside the closet, or should I frame everything up first and then drywall it? Probably not a whole lot of time savings either way, but I thought I'd ask in case there was a way you were "supposed" to do it. :) Thanks.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 7, 2015, 04:17 AM
    Do your framing and then hang the drywall.

May 12, 2015, 11:48 AM
    Ok, thank you.
    spicywings Posts: 85, Reputation: 9

May 12, 2015, 08:17 PM
    I would do all the dry wall and then worry about framing later.

EDIT: Framing/building of the closet, I mean... you already mentioned you were going to frame the porch wall to hang the drywall.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 13, 2015, 10:14 AM
    Question for spicy, on what would you attach your drywall if there is no framing?
    spicywings Posts: 85, Reputation: 9

May 13, 2015, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Question for spicy, on what would you attach your drywall if there is no framing?
    Apologies. I was vague/inaccurate with my wording. So when they said should they build the closet first or do they drywall... I meant, I would do all the drywall first for the porch and then worry about framing the closet later. Obviously, there has to be some kind of framework for the actual walls before you can attach the drywall but it was already stated they were "going to frame a wall on an enclosed porch".

In my opinion, I think they should finish the room first (regarding hanging the drywall) keeping in mind that you'll need to remember where all the studs are for the closet.

May 14, 2015, 04:32 PM
    We ended up drywalling the first wall, then framing the closet and drywalling that. That let us hang whole sheets and we didn't have to monkey around in the tight closet as much. We then nailed outr side of the closet to one of the studs in the wall and made the depth to where the top plate would nail into one of the ceiling joists that ran parallel to the closet. Thanks for everyone's replies!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I build a closet around an existing electrical panel [ 1 Answers ]

We are remodeling a house. At some point the panel was moved out of the basement to the first floor, outside wall. The previous home owners had the panel in the back of a bedroom closet. We have removed all of the walls and are building back a bedroom and bathroom. We would like to build a small...

Electric Furnace in a Bedroom Closet? [ 3 Answers ]

I am considering turning my garage into a bedroom, but this would require building a closet to hide the electric furnace and water heater. Is this legal? Safe? I can't find any information online for this, so either I don't know where to look, or it's never been done before. Any information...

Cold Master bedroom closet. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a house that is two years old. In the master bedroom the closet has a vent that blows warm air, but the closet is freezing cold. If I keep the door of the closet open. The closet temperature is the same as the room. What do I need to do to keep the closet warm without the door open?

Framing for a 9' closet door [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 9 foot opening for a closet door and am not sure about what size I should make the rough opening for the bypass doors. Thx for your help.:)

Replacing bedroom and closet doors. [ 11 Answers ]

I have very plain hollow bedroom and closet doors which I'd like to replace one by one. I'm looking at the more modern doors that have a colonial design pattern on both sides but are also hollow. Do I have to replace the door jams/frame too, or can I just take off the old and install the new ones...

View more questions Search