Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

May 6, 2015, 07:56 PM
    Boyfriend asks me how much I make
    My boyfriend asks me how much I make?
    I told him the agreement I signed with my company stated that I shall not share such info. Unless it's to my lawyer or family members.
    He told me he won't tell anyone... and he said he is fine telling me how much he makes if I need to know. I told him, no I don't need to know that. He was a bit upset.

I don't want to reveal my salary, ever and I do not really need to know how much he makes, I am sure he makes much less than me and it's not a deal breaker that he makes less.

What do I do if he asks me again? Do you tell your bf/gf your salary?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 6, 2015, 08:18 PM
    The agreement you signed with your employer was not to disclose your salary with other employees. It most likely had nothing to do with whom you disclose that information in your personal life.

With that said, until you have a ring and a date for a wedding, it is your right not to tell him how much you make. You simply tell him you live comfortably.
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

May 6, 2015, 08:43 PM
    I didn't ask my husband his much he made until a few days prior to our wedding. It really didn't matter to me.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2015, 08:43 PM
    My spouse knows but that's on a different level. You need to tell him what you feel comfortable telling him what you want to tell him.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 6, 2015, 09:11 PM
    You must be the ONLY person that takes that agreement seriously. As was pointed out that is Supposed to be between employees.. That's so they can screw people on pay and raises without them knowing it. In theory anyway if everyone actually took it serious and followed it. I assume you are really young and this is your first job and you haven't had it very long.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2015, 02:11 AM
    This is a culture thing, in western culture, normally he can tell how much you make from what job position you have (job title) and life style.

But he is a boyfriend, not husband. Sounds like not a boyfriend for long, So what happens when he does tell his friends bragging?

BUT>>>>> as noted, it is a culture thing, a total stranger will come up to you in China and ask you how much do you make.

Next in China, you do not call someone a boyfriend, unless there is a plan toward marriage. So normally in China, on about the 3rd date (you know marriage is more serious if you date more than twice. The man and women in China will sit down with all of their bank statement and show each other all income, money in the bank, loans, debts and payments.

So culture and location can really make a big difference on how it works.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 7, 2015, 05:09 AM
    I think this comes down to how comfortable you are with this boyfriend, and how far along this relationship has progressed. If he is worthy of being a boyfriend, then he must be worthy of your trust and of your HONESTY.

Nothing wrong with expressing that honesty if you are not ready to cross that bridge about your personal finances.

Maybe he asks as a way to see where he stands with you.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 7, 2015, 05:27 AM
    I agree, especially with 'how far along this relationship has progressed.'
    Not telling him because of your employment agreement is being coy. I suspect that the real reason is that you just don't feel like telling him, period, at least not yet!

If you start living together and sharing expenses, then tell him. I'm not getting a good feeling about the longevity of this relationship, however. I think he might resent your higher salary.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

May 7, 2015, 06:02 AM
    I have never had a boyfriend ask me how much money I make. Unless we're getting married, it's none of his business.
    How long has he been your boyfriend?

May 7, 2015, 02:00 PM
    I don't feel safe to tell because he also knows my coworkers so if he ever decides to tell my coworkers, I will be in trouble.
    There is no way to assure he will never tell others, right?
    Plus I don't know how he feels if he knows my salary that is much higher ( I am talking about roughly 3 times of his), I am sure he doesn't know it's that high because I am rather a frugal person.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2015, 02:31 PM
    If you don't feel safe to tell then don't tell. It can't be any simpler.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 7, 2015, 02:57 PM
    Then tell him to stop being rude. Such a question makes you uncomfortable. You don't answer to him for your cautious, conservative, frugal nature. He accepts you the way you are.

I think you are right to keep him out of your very personal business for now. How long have you been dating, and an official couple?

Is this the guy teaching you to swim?

May 7, 2015, 03:16 PM
    No, it's not the same guy. The "swimming" guy started drink a lot again so we broke up. This guy I have only known for couple months, he declared our relationship just after a month of dating. He introduced me to all his family and calls me his girlfriend. I honestly don't ever want to tell someone my salary, until that person becomes my husband...
    Was it rude that he asked about my salary? In reality, I think he is quite gentle and sweet.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2015, 03:28 PM
    Have you told him no yet? It sounds like you are very impressed with your salary and maybe it comes across to him that way and maybe that's why he asked. Tell him no and move on.

May 7, 2015, 03:40 PM
    I said No immediately he asked.
    He hasn't talked to me afterwards, which is unusal of him.
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2015, 03:59 PM
    I think you avoided something I said. If you are flaunting your salary, which you seem very impressed with, then I can see why he was probably curious. Regardless how you defend that point, we are only hearing your side of this story. I'd like to know how many times you have told us how much more you make than this other person. But I'm choosing not to read these posts again.

Honestly I make more than my partner, we've been together almost 5 years, and this issue has never come up because we love each other AND we are mature. Think about it.

May 7, 2015, 04:24 PM
    I understand. It's hard to see the whole story by just reading what I wrote.
    Only time will tell, no point to worry about all the issues. If it works out, it will work out.
    If it doesn't, then move on.:)
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

May 7, 2015, 05:25 PM
    I think the fact that he has called you his girl, introduced you to his family and asked how much money you make in a month is telling.
    That, in my opinion is a very personal question to ask someone you've been seeing a month.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2015, 06:15 PM
    You do not have any obligation to share this information and he Should stop grilling you. Tell him you make enough to support your lifestyle and pursue your financial goals. Dating is not engaged. Should you get engaged you would likely need to discuss this as addressing your financial plans and expectations and values is important in planning a marriage. I think it is weird he is making an issue of it.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

May 7, 2015, 06:52 PM
    He asked you once? And you said, no, that you can't share it due to an agreement you signed at work and that you don't want to. Odds are he won't bring it up again... It would be quite awkward for him to do so after the previous discussion on it.

If he does happen to ask again, simply tell him no again, that its something you feel should be kept private. If he gets upset again, so be it. He should respect your boundaries of privacy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend always asks me questions about my past [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for a year now and I love him with all my heart but we really seem to be arguing a lot lately. I have lied to my boyfriend in the past and I confessed about it recently. I have lied to him again and I confessed about it. I totally understand why he doesn't...

What does it mean when your boyfriend asks you to go on a break [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone! My boyfriend said to me ''we need to take a break'' He gave me a reason he has a huge college exam in 3 weeks,and is stressed about it and hasn't studied for it. I've only been with him a month but we new each other in secondary school. He said he wants to get back together when his...

My boyfriend asks for a break,what should I do? [ 10 Answers ]

My boyfriend has asks for a break. There's been a week we didn't contact each other at all. He told me he messed up everything. He was so stress about his college work and his family problems, And he can't always accompany me. He also said that he was a sucky boyfriend because he couldn't...

How to make my boyfriend marry me.. how to make my bfrns parents acept me [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriends parents are against our relation as I am 2 yrs older to him and *** from a different community. They won't evn meet me. Our 3 yr relation is at the verge of break up as his parents won't acept me as their daughtr in law and as my boyfriend is not able to convince his parents and last...

View more questions Search