Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

May 6, 2015, 06:02 PM
    Outback Rear Wheels Locked
    I have a 2005 Outback that needed rear calipers so I put new calipers, pads and rotors. Went through it all, bled it out, everything was fine. Put the wheels on and tightened them up and they won't turn. Take the wheels off and everything turns freely. Either wheel on either side will lock up once it is tightened down. The calipers are not touching the wheels and everything seems to have clearance from where I can see it. I double checked all part numbers and everything is correct. Also, wheels were not locked before doing the work. So...any ideas?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 6, 2015, 06:19 PM
    Wrong calipers? I'll take a stab, that these calipers are floating... and when the wheel is bolted back on, its contacting a wider than it should be Caliper, pinning the pad to the rotor.

I seem to remember watching such a thing on Wheeler Dealers on a WRX....where there were larger calipers that needed different wheels to clear.

I know YOU matched part numbers...but the guy at the re builders might have placed a wrong item in the wrong box. I've had that happen before.
    Entomology Expert

May 6, 2015, 06:48 PM
    The calipers are the same...they match up to the old ones.

I am thinking that it could be the parking brake. These have the parking brake shoes inside the rotor (like a drum)...perhaps I don't have that adjusted correctly and it becomes too tight. I have had this happen on drums before. I will have to go through it tomorrow as I have had enough of this car for tonight.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 6, 2015, 07:00 PM
    Mercedes uses a similar e-brake setup then. Shouldn't matter on that if a wheel is bolted on or not. But its not hard to check it anyway. At least the several I have are.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

May 7, 2015, 11:24 AM
    I'd focus on the parking brake--it likely needs to be adjusted for the new parking brake drums, which are part of the new rotors.
    Entomology Expert

May 7, 2015, 04:08 PM
    The rotors are not machined correctly. When the wheel is tightened, the lip on the rotor/drum pushes against the backing plate. When they made these, they must have cut them just a little bit off.
    Uber Member

May 7, 2015, 05:08 PM
    What brand?
    Entomology Expert

May 7, 2015, 08:22 PM
    Wearever from Advance Auto.
    Uber Member

May 8, 2015, 06:43 AM
    Those are normally good rotors--I believe they are made by Wagner for Advance Auto Parts. Did you remove all rust from the hubs, which can cause lateral runout (LRO) issues?
    Entomology Expert

May 8, 2015, 05:34 PM
    Yes, everything is clean. When I put the old rotors back on to try it out, everything is good and there is no rubbing. New rotors rub. I have always had good luck with these rotors as well but it just seems that these are off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Model 660 lawn chief rear wheels locked up [ 1 Answers ]

Mower has been sitting up for a couple of years and decided to work on it. The parking brake was disengaged and then gear shift placed in neutral. Attempted to push mower to another location but rear wheels locked up. I jacket the rear end off the ground and wheels turn freely but 1 goes in one...

My riding lawnmover's wheels are locked [ 0 Answers ]

I have a craftsman Riding Lawnmower Model 917.272280 DLT 2000 Briggs & Stratton Twin ELS 220HV

My Snow Blower Wheels are Locked [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to store my Snowblower and the wheels are locked? Tried starting it to move it that way. Butit didn't work. Any suggestions?

My van just locked its rear wheels due to lack of lubricating oil in the differential [ 1 Answers ]

I was driving my van when it just locked its rear wheels.I discovered the differential drain cock wasn't there and it had leaked out all the differential oil.Is there a good chance that when I refill it with the differential oil it will work just fine?

Rear wheels of Toro mower are locked [ 2 Answers ]

My Toro riding mower is sitting in my yard with the rear wheels locked. The motor will start, the cutting blades will rotate, but the riding mower will not budge, and it cannot be pushed. The rear wheels are frozen! What is wrong?

View more questions Search