Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

May 6, 2015, 05:48 PM
    Paying a ticket (toll booth)
    I took a trip from NY to Pa and used my EZ pass at all the tolls. I just got a
    Letter with a photo of my license plate saying I didn't pay one of the tolls.

There was one toll that didn't say paid or go, but the arm went up so figured it registered. They sent me an appeal form. Is it worth fighting?

It's expensive $64.00 (administrative fee $25 included).
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 6, 2015, 07:20 PM
    What's expensive, the appeal or the cost they want you to pay?
    " It's expensive $64.00 (administrative fee $25 include"). What is this for?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 7, 2015, 02:31 AM
    I would appeal, if doing so, did not require a personal appearance. If you have to take off work, the loss of income, normally parking fees near a government office, is more than a ticket.

Ok, I guess I am only one, that does not think, that is a very expensive ticket, but then I guess it may be the area.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 7, 2015, 06:02 AM
    I've gotten similar notices for my E-Z Pass as well - I was cited for crossing the Hudson on Rt 84 without paying, but on the same trip all the other tolls registered properly. My understanding is that as long as the transponder is properly registered to the car and you have the correct license plates on the car, then if the transponder fails to be read at the toll they will not nail you for such high fees. I suggest you go online and check your account to verify your car and transponder are properly registered. If they are, then perhaps a call to customer service can set it straight (1-9800-333-TOLL). One other thought - if you have insufficient funds to pay the fee (perhaps your credit card was rejected?) it's possible E-ZPass has included a fee for that as well.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 7, 2015, 07:42 AM
    Can't you go over your paid tolls to see if you weren't charged for this one?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 7, 2015, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Yes. It seems clear that they have photographic proof that OP drove through the toll gate at the time in dispute. The only issue is whether the toll was paid by OP or if for some reason (such as those Ebaines suggests) the toll authority didn't get paid. Call them and straighten this out. If the transaction was, for example, denied by the charge card company, they should be able to tell you.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 7, 2015, 09:38 AM
    joypulv EZ pass charges a premium price for itemized billing every month. They charge nothing for automatic bill pay here in VA at least. For what I run up every month it is more than 25% of what my actual tolls amount to. So I don't pay for it.
    Expert

May 7, 2015, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    joypulv EZ pass charges a premium price for itemized billing every month. They charge nothing for automatic bill pay here in VA at least. For what I run up every month it is more than 25% of what my actual tolls amount to. So I don't pay for it.
    That is absurd. They could charge you whatever they want, and you would have no way to contest it.

I suspect that, if this procedure is in effect in OP's case (I see that EZ Pass is a multistate enterprise, apparently including facilities in New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania, among other states), OP could still get them to generate an itemized statement. In any case, OP should be able to ask them if the transaction at issue was denied.
    Expert

May 7, 2015, 10:28 AM
    You can get a record of all tolls and your monthly statements online from E-Zpass, for free - no extra fees involved. So yes - the OP should check his on-line account to verify the toll in question was not paid, and that his credit card information is up to date. What he will most likely find (as I did) is that the toll in question is not listed in the history of his account, and that's why they had to track him down by his license plate number.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2015, 08:09 PM
    Worth checking into... not all toll booths in New York accept EZ pass. I found this out the hard way while attending a family funeral. Thankfully, the toll attendant flagged us down before we blew through the toll booth, but he did let us know that at this particular toll plaza, only the EZ pass tagged lanes accepted them, and the cash lanes did not. He saved us a very expensive violation. (The gate was open, and we planned to just roll right through)
    Expert

May 8, 2015, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kcomissiong View Post
    Worth checking into... not all toll booths in New York accept EZ pass. I found this out the hard way while attending a family funeral. Thankfully, the toll attendant flagged us down before we blew through the toll booth, but he did let us know that at this particular toll plaza, only the EZ pass tagged lanes accepted them, and the cash lanes did not. He saved us a very expensive violation. (The gate was open, and we planned to just roll right through)
    Here in Florida, they have what is called "SunPass" (same idea as EZ-Pass). If for some reason the transponder doesn't register, they have told me that they can cross-reference your license plate with your SunPass account, and debit the transaction anyway. I'm surprised that EZ Pass doesn't work that way.
    Expert

May 8, 2015, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    I'm surprised that EZ Pass doesn't work that way.

Good point. That's how the Illinois system works too, and since IL's iPass system is integrated with E-ZPass I would think NY's would work the same way, though I can't find anything on the E-ZPass web site to confirm it. My guess is that the OP may have used the transponder while driving a car with a different plate than is registered for the account, or his account had a negative balance.
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

May 12, 2015, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    No. When I called EZ Pass people they told me they can't send me the up to date
    Record until the end of the month... they don't send them out weekly or handle
    Special requests. Otherwise I'd do just that

Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Good point. That's how the Illinois system works too, and since IL's iPass system is integrated with E-ZPass I would think NY's would work the same way, though I can't find anything on the E-ZPass web site to confirm it. My guess is that the OP may have used the transponder while driving a car with a different plate than is registered for the account, or his account had a negative balance.
    No I didn't use a different automobile... and I went into the right lane for EZ pass
    But please tell me what OP stands for... My EZ pass is connected
    To my checking a/c so they take out funds when I run below a certain amount.
    Expert

May 12, 2015, 10:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23 View Post
    No I didn't use a different automobile... and I went into the right lane for EZ pass
    But please tell me what OP stands for... My EZ pass is connected
    To my checking a/c so they take out funds when I run below a certain amount.
    OP = "original poster" - that's you. It's a term we use when there are multiple people talking about an issue.

Given that the transponder was in the car with license pate properly tegistered with E-Zpass, and yuo don't have a low balance, the only other thing to suggest is to check your account on line to see toll activity and verify that the license plate and description of your car is correct. Have you done that? See:
    https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/home/index.shtml

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I get arrested in court by paying a ticket and having a warrant [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a letter from court stating that I have a warrant 2 weeks ago it become active on 11-28-11, but I don't recall getting a ticket in a long long time, do I need an attorney? Or do I just pa it and the warrents get dropped? Without seen the judge? Will I get arrested when I go to court...

Juggalo toll booth [ 0 Answers ]

What is the story behind the juggalo toll booth?

Speeding ticket in Delaware wrong date of birth and race on ticket [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone help out.I got a speeding ticket in Delaware,measure speed 58 mph,posted speed 35 mph and was charge for 40 mph with a total of $65.60, I am from New York I can pay this ticket but there are incorrect date of Birt and my race on the ticket.should I try to beat this ticket and will I...

View more questions Search