Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mtcassidy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 12:11 PM
    Drilled into PVC Pipe
    While drilling a hole to hang a towel rod in a first floor bathroom, I drilled into the PVC waste line that comes from the upstairs bathrooms. I cut away a section of the drywall and can see I hit almost dead center into a 2 or 3 inch PVC waste line. The hole is approx. 1/2" in diameter. Is there an easy way to fill the hole or will I need to get that section of pipe replaced?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 10, 2007, 12:28 PM
    You will most likely be advised by other experts to replace the bad section of pipe but I like a simple repair best. Get a piece of PVC in the correct pipe size and cut a one or two inch patch out of it. Now dry off the pipe and prime both the patch and the pipe. Slaver on PVC cement and hold the patch over the hole until it sets up. Don't use for a hour or so. Ordinarily I wouldn't recommend this if this were a pipe under pressure but drainage hasn't any pressure behind it and the patch should last the lifetime of the pipe. If that don't grab you you can purchase a saddle clamp,(see image) and patch it that way good luck, Tom
    mtcassidy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Thanks for your quick response, I will give that a try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Splicing pvc pipe [ 7 Answers ]

I need to connect a "T" to an 1.5" underground pvc pipe. To fit properly a 1" space must be cut in the pipe. The "T" is obviously larger than the opening, how can this be done?:mad: :confused:

ABS/PVC Pipe Connections [ 7 Answers ]

I am about to do a modest bathroom remodel on a 40 year old house. The existing DWV piping is black plastic ABS pipe. I want to use the white PVC but I read somewhere that you should not join the two different pipe types directly. Is this accurate? If so, what is the easiest method. The only other...

PVC pipe leak from toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Help.. My wife and I bought our first house 5 months ago. We are not used to living in a home with 2 floors and a basement. So, the toilet on the upper floor started leaking a few drops a minute, so it is not serious yet:). The drops are forming on the elbow joint of the PVC pipe in the...

Leak in PVC Drain Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I recently refurbished the powder room (1/2 bath) in the main hall of our house. Everything went well until I had to deal with the pedestal sink. After some struggle, I finally got the sink attached properly to the wall and the pedestal bolted to the floor. However, after I turned on the water,...

PVC to Copper Pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bathroom. The existing drain pipe is 1 1/2" copper tubing. What is the best way to connect a 1 1/2" PVC to 1 1/2" copper tubing?

View more questions Search